[NCUC-DISCUSS] [CCWG-ACCT] Memo on Fundamental Bylaws & Legal Liability of Members

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Sat Jun 20 22:20:28 CEST 2015

hi Arun

Thanks for this thoughtful contribution.

I was interested in the difference between this memo's conclusions
regarding the power to approve fundamental bylaws, and those of the legal
firms retained by the CCWG. Their view is clearly that in a member
structure, members can have approval rights for bylaws changes. The memo
you have circulated seems on first glance to conclude that they cannot.

Am I reading this right or is it just a matter of the way it is expressed?

best
Jordan

On 20 June 2015 at 16:32, Arun Sukumar <arun.sukumar at nludelhi.ac.in> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Please find attached a memo/primer from the National Law University, New
> Delhi explaining the idea of Fundamental Bylaws and examining its basis in
> California law. The document also has some research on what's known in some
> jurisdictions as courts "lifting the corporate veil", an action that
> potentially exposes members to legal liability.
>
> Hope this is useful to those who are following the CCWG's work. This is
> simply to supplement the legal advice CCWG is getting from both law firms.
>
> Best,
> Arun
>
> --
> -
> @arunmsukumar <http://www.twitter.com/arunmsukumar>
> Senior Fellow, Centre for Communication Governance
> <http://www.ccgdelhi.org>
> National Law University, New Delhi
> Ph: +91-9871943272

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *