[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Constituency Day Meeting in Singapore, Tuesday 10 February 9:30-13:00 SGT

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Jan 30 18:55:30 CET 2015

Hello

Here is the draft agenda for our CD meeting in Singapore.  It looks like we will should a good-sized group of people on site, hopefully we can have the same via remote participation.

Best,

Bill

————

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/NCUC+Singapore+Meeting+2015-02-10 <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/NCUC+Singapore+Meeting+2015-02-10>

NCUC Constituency Day @ ICANN 52, Singapore

Tuesday, 10 February 2015 - 09:30 to 13:00 SGT
Hullet Room, Raffles City Convention Centre

Remote participation information at http://singapore52.icann.org/en/schedule/tue-ncuc <http://singapore52.icann.org/en/schedule/tue-ncuc>
Draft Agenda as of 29 January, subject to change

I.   9:30 – 10:30 Organizational Matters

1.  Participant introductions & adoption of agenda
2.  Updates
	• 2014 Election and the new Executive Committee
	• ICANN 52 events of particular interest (SOACSGC, NCUC, NCSG, GNSO, GNSO Review, human rights,
		CCWG-Internet governance, CCWG-Accountability, CWG-Stewardship, IGC, Public Forum, etc.)
	• Reflections on the Noncontracted Parties House (NCPH) meeting and NCUC meetings in Washington DC, 12-14 January
	• Budgetary
3.  Proposed NCPH conference in Buenos Aires before ICANN 53
4.  The new Membership Affairs Team and the challenges of in-reach and engagement, especially for new members

10:30/40 – 11:00  ICANN coffee break

II.  11:00 – 12:00  The IANA Transition and Accountability

Joining us for the discussion:

Lawrence E. Strickling
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information and Administrator, National Telecommunications and Information Administration

Fiona Alexander
Associate Administrator (Head of Office) for International Affairs, NTIA

Background Information:

Remarks by Assistant Secretary Strickling at the State of the Net Conference 1/27/2015  http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-state-net-conference-1272015 <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-state-net-conference-1272015>

NTIA IANA Functions’ Stewardship Transition  & Enhancing ICANN Accountability Processes https://www.icann.org/stewardship-accountability <https://www.icann.org/stewardship-accountability>

The IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) https://www.icann.org/stewardship/coordination-group <https://www.icann.org/stewardship/coordination-group>

CCWG on Enhancing ICANN Accountability https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/CCWG+on+Enhancing+ICANN+Accountability <https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/CCWG+on+Enhancing+ICANN+Accountability>

III.  12:00 – 12:50  ICANN and the Global “Public Interest”

Joining us for the discussion:

Megan Richards
Principal Adviser of the Director General at DG CONNECT, European Commission

Nora Abusitta
Vice President, Development and Public Responsibility Programs, ICANN  (remote participation)

Background Information:

The Strategy Panel on the Public Responsibility Framework (revised May 2014) https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/prf-report-15may14-en.pdf proposed that, “ICANN defines the global public interest in relation to the Internet as ensuring the Internet becomes, and continues to be, stable, inclusive, and accessible across the globe so that all may enjoy the benefits of a single and open Internet.”  The panel’s analysis was discussed inter alia in a February 2014 webinar https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-02-12-en.  A Development and Public Responsibility Department was created to coordinate with the community and organization on related work, and held sessions at the London and Los Angeles meetings.

The ICANN Draft Five-Year Operating Plan for FY2016- FY2020 (v.1, November 2014) lists “Strategic Objective 5 - Develop and implement a global public interest framework bounded by ICANN’s mission,” including the development of a “common consensus based definition of public interest” https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/proposed-opplan-budget-2016-2020-10nov14-en.pdf

At a meeting with NCSG in Washington DC on 13 January, Fadi Chehadé told us, “clearly it's my job to define ICANN's public interest framework. This is clearly something we ought to do together. And I frankly welcome the NCSG to, if anything, take the lead on that.”

IV.  12:50 – 13:00  AOB

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland