[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Survey Results Analysis - Part I

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 03:31:13 CEST 2015

Hi Timothe

> All on-line services - and especially Wikis - require maintenance and
> management.  They are not free to operate; they will be assaulted by
> wiki-spam, vandals and probes for security issues.  It takes time and
> energy to stay up-to-date with patches, updates, and whatever
> customizations you're lured into making.  There will be user question &
> bugs.  And don't forget backups - because if your security provisions don't
> fail, hardware will :-)
>
> So while these can be a valuable resource, they are not projects to be
> taken-on lightly.  Ugly as the ICANN Wiki is, it's maintained by someone
> else...
>
> All tools have a learning curve for both users and operators.  I urge a
> careful evaluation of the advantages, disadvantages, costs - and long-term
> commitment to support - before going off on your own.  Again, it's not a
> commitment to be make lightly.

Thanks for this feedback, maintenance and management are critical since
most of work would be done by volunteers, who have scarce time to provide .
as Tapani, who worked a lot of NCUC website and related tasks,  always
reminds me the same question, when we discuss about some tools for NCSG to
enhance participation "who is going to be your system admin for this?" :) .
so careful evaluation and an iterative approach are needed, in  addition to
get members buy-in . btw ICANN wiki is confluence , it is not that bad (I
use it at work and it has many useful features) but we don't have enough
control on it. The ICANN staff is also working on providing some additional
tools to support the community in near future but that also raises the
question on how to not be tightly dependent to that.

Best,

Rafik