[NCUC-DISCUSS] CROPP funding opportunity for outreach at IG meetings

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Apr 3 11:29:42 CEST 2015

Hello

I’ve mentioned this before on the list and at multiple Constituency Day and Exec. Comm meetings but a Subject line reminder is now in order.  In FY 2014 staff launched the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program (CROPP) [see the confusingly organized Confluence space, https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/Community+Regional+Outreach+Pilot+Program+%28CROPP%29-FY15+Home] <https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/Community+Regional+Outreach+Pilot+Program+%28CROPP%29-FY15+Home%5D>  This provides GNSO constituencies and At Large RALOs the possibility of up to five trips (no more than one per person) to non-ICANN Internet governance-related meetings to do outreach and spread the word about getting involved in NCUC and ICANN.  The trips are to be taken in the region where one resides.  It’s not automatic, the NCUC EC (Chair + one other rep, currently Peter Green) and then staff have to approve a proposal based on utility to the constituency and ICANN's criteria, but it’s an opportunity.

In FY 2014, nobody from NCUC applied.  In FY 2015, we’ve submitted two applications that were approved, for David Cake to go to RightsCon in Manila in March and for me to go to EuroDIG in Sofia in June.  We have three possible slots left.  Staff just informed us that "any new Trip Proposals for FY15 must be entered into the CROPP Community Workspace and approved on or before 15 May 2015 to satisfy the six week window before the program closes for this fiscal cycle at the end of June.”

So: if anyone has an IG-related conference in their region happening before the end of June that they would like to attend and fly the NCUC flag at, please be in touch with me and Peter, preferably by 1 May so we have time to go through the mechanics.  If proceeding with an application seems sensible, we’ll help you through the process. One fills out a Trip Proposal https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/SAMPLE+Trip+Proposal+DRAFT <https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/SAMPLE+Trip+Proposal+DRAFT> and if approved by the staff regional VP, Constituency Travel books the flight and hotel (normally up to two nights).  After returning, one must file a Trip Assessment with ICANN https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/SAMPLE+Trip+Assessment+DRAFT <https://community.icann.org/display/croppfy15/SAMPLE+Trip+Assessment+DRAFT>.  And from NCUC’s side, it would be reasonable to expect a traveler to submit at least a couple paragraph blog post about the meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best

Bill

William J. Drake