[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC @ IGF Istanbul + MAG

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Sep 12 12:11:26 CEST 2014

You did a great job on the MAG and you will be missed. I also plan to
step down this year but will try to attend open consultations and
contribute on a voluntary basis to organising the IGF.

We need new people and we need people that will really commit to work.
Civil society is such a small presence on the MAG that we just cannot
afford having people that are not able to maintain an active presence
throughout the process.

Anriette

On 11/09/2014 12:01, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> For anyone who is interested, the transcripts
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-2014/igf2014-transcripts and videos
> https://www.youtube.com/user/igf of the workshops organized by NCUC
> and its members are now online.  The secretariat did not link these
> from the Sched pages reference below (which I’ve raised with them), so
> you’d have to follow the links from the just mentioned old MAG list of
> approved workshops.
>
> Two related notes:
>
> *The little multi-author project I edited that was released on Day 0
> (see bottom) is being reformatted for publication by the USC Press as
> a proper e-book, will let you know when available.
>
> *I have now served for three years on the IGF’s Multistakeholder
> Advisory Group (MAG) and want to rotate off in the next cycle.
>  Nominations for the next MAG are open until 20
> October http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/mag-nomination.  It’d be great
> if some members threw their hat in the ring for collective
> endorsement, which I suppose should be done at the SG level.  And if
> they also got endorsements by other CS coalitions like the IG Caucus,
> Best Bits, or APC, they’d be in even better shape when the UN DESA
> works its dark magic and selects for us (grrr…).  Civil society
> desperately needs to have serious and strategically oriented
> representatives who will work together to advance CS’s objectives in
> an environment where NETmundial has endorsed the IGF strengthening
> we’d long advocated but conservative proponents of a staid status quo
> are quite good at process bending.  So I hope some good people will
> consider this possibility and seek nominations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>

>>> *From: *William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>>
>>> *Subject: **Re: [Soac-infoalert] Webinar - ICANN¹s Participation in
>>> the IGF - 1400 UTC: Monday, August 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM*
>>>
>>> Hi David
>>>
>>> Thanks for this.  I’m traveling and not in an optimal time zone but
>>> will try to attend if I can.  Either way, a suggestion: in addition
>>> to whatever staff will be reporting, it might be of interest to
>>> share what members of the community are doing at IGF.  I’ll start,
>>> perhaps others could add their activities.
>>>
>>> NCUC has organized two workshops
>>>
>>> *WS185: ICANN Globalization and the Affirmation of Commitments*
>>> Wednesday, September 3 • 11:00am - 12:30pm
>>> http://igf2014.sched.org/event/e11c908117568a74bc6d8ba4decbbd04#.U-2npVZaZy8
>>>
>>> *WS153: Institutionalizing the “Clearing House” Function*
>>> Thursday, September 4 • 2:30pm - 4:00pm
>>> http://igf2014.sched.org/event/6d1b3f5fb8950d5fff9a290221ce5024#.U-2oEFZaZy8
>>>
>>> NCSG/NCUC/NPOC has organized one workshop
>>>
>>> *WS114: Developing Countries Participation in Global IG*
>>> Thursday, September 4 • 4:30pm - 6:00pm
>>> http://igf2014.sched.org/event/a187b6ef1a88c028f718559353a3758f#.U-2pCFZaZy8
> [...]

anriette esterhuysen
executive director
association for progressive communications
po box 29755, melville, 2109, south africa
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org