[NCUC-DISCUSS] LA Travel Support Request

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:36:54 CEST 2014

Hi

We have a request for support to cover a plane trip to LA from Niels at Article 19.  As you know, Niels and his colleague Gabrielle have been quite active since joining NCUC a few months back, having taken the lead on drafting a couple NCSG policy statements including most recently the response to the Council of Europe human rights paper.  There will be a number of follow-up HR discussions in LA, including in the NCUC and NCSG constituency day meetings, a GAC meeting, and (if meeting staff can accommodate with space) a proposed cross-community meeting.  As such, I’d think it’d be good for our efforts if Niels could be there, and as we discussed in Istanbul, while it’s too late to do the whole formalized application process, we could consider offering ad hoc support as we have in the past.

Problem is, at this late date, prices are high, plus he’s looking for a funky itinerary, coming from Sao Paulo to LA and then back home to Amsterdam.  He’s also proposing to leave a tad early, on the Thursday, so missing the meetings on accountability, IANA, and the Public Forum. 1,814.30 GBP = $2,935.33 USD, a thousand more than we are offering as of the Marrakech meeting.

So we have 4 options: say 1) sorry no; 2) yes ok; 3) ok but a bit less than asked, like $2,500; or 4) $2,000 as we announced.  In the latter two, ask if A19 can’t pick up the difference (in addition to his hotel and other costs).  We could of course ask that the standard requirements we set out be met, e.g. participating in all activities, writing a blog about what happened at the meeting of relevance to NCUC, etc.

It’s worth noting that in the past we didn’t set a $2,000 limit, and have covered people serving on the NCSG EC or in other capacities in the $3,000 range.  So it while it’s a bit high, it wouldn’t be unprecedented.

What do people think?  In any event we should give him an answer soon, the meeting’s starting in ten days.

Best,

Bill

Begin forwarded message: