[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC ELECTIONS 2014: NOMINATIONS OPEN 3 - 16 November

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sat Nov 8 21:45:19 CET 2014

How about some sort of "official observers" included on the coordination
lists for these committees, where those with the interest get to look in on
communications by the EC or PC, etc.  Just being a "fly on the wall" can be
a very educational first step, without placing any additional burden on
anyone with decision-making responsibilities.  It points a new member
toward the sorts of things one needs to learn in order to become a more
effective participant.

Is there anything intrinsically confidential about the deliberations of
these committees, or are they kept separate simply to avoid clutter on the
main membership lists?  (Are they published on the web anywhere, at
present?)

This could be a part of nurturing a culture of internal transparency within
our group.  Then perhaps a "mentees" list could follow-up with collective
self-education when things come up in committee discussions that merit
further elaboration to get up to speed.  Once in a while the mentees could
post a question for clarification to the main list and we can all jump in
(time willing) to help clarify.  The combination of observing the "real
action" with a "penumbra" forum to understand those actions without
clogging up the activity on the committees might create critical mass to
boot-strap those who want to get on board and become more effective
participants over time.

Dan

PS: IMO there is no such thing as a "stupid question" except the one one
declines to ask in order to avoid looking stupid.  People who lack
information or experience are not stupid, simply uninformed.  It should be
our collective mission to make sure our members are as well informed as
possible, no matter how new they are to the process or the context.  Any
attitude of looking down on those with less experience is self-defeating as
a group.  The attitude should be to reach out a hand and pull everyone up.
(Once in a while Godzilla and Mothra may get into a dispute and a few
elbows might be thrown -- you know who you are ;-) -- but that should not
be interpreted as a lack of respect -- it is simply the expression of a
passionate point of view.)  But, it may be that the committee lists are not
the place to ask those questions.  I do think the main lists are entirely
appropriate for such questions.  But if some newer members would feel more
comfortable addressing these orientation type questions among themselves
before pushing them out to the full membership, anything we can do to
smooth the entry process seems like a good thing to me.