[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN FY15 Budget decisions of relevance to NCUC

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue May 6 20:06:54 CEST 2014

On 06-May-14 07:48, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
>> From:
>> http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-30apr14-en.htm
>>
>> Approved Board Resolutions | Regular Meeting of the ICANN Board

>> Resolved (2014.04.30.07), the Board approves committing funds during FY15
>> in the amount of up to $700,000 for the SO/AC additional budget requests
>> as indicated in the attached list
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/about/financials/budget-requests-fy15-30apr14-en.pdf
>
> We’ve done pretty well with budget requests for the next fiscal years.
>  Some highlights:
>
> *Approval of the NCUC and NCSG requests for travel support for panelists
> at the IGF, subject to MAG approval of our workshop proposals at its
> 20-21 May meeting.  Staff have added new provisos to IGF requests:
> "Travelers must agree to produce a trip report on what the support made
> possible - i.e., other work, mtgs. Travelers will be expected to give
> some support time to ICANN while at the IGF meeting (e.g., booth
> attendance, etc.,).”  I’m fine with the former, the latter raises some
> questions.

seems fair

> *Approval of the NCSG-CSG request for another Noncontracted “House”
> meeting, based on our 2012 meeting.

good

> *Further to another long-running but low-level conversation, provision
> of part time staff administrative support to NCSG.  "ICANN staff will
> provide part-time in-kind support on a pilot basis for administrative
> staff support resources to non-contracted GNSO communities (equivalent
> of approximately 12 hours a week of support). Funds will not be
> provided directly to the community. Support will be offered on a
> "functional" basis and managed by the ICANN staff (i.e., specific staff
> assigned to specific functions like elections, telephone support, etc.).
> Staff will coordinate specific points of contact for the community to
> ensure that requests for service are provided in a timely manner.”

very good

> *ICANN staff were pretty impressed with the positive response and big
> turn-out at our Singapore conference, and suggested to me at the time
> that well, if you guys can do this, maybe other parts of the community
> will want and be able to, too.  And so lo and behold, ICANN has set
> aside $33,300 for Pre-public Meeting Seminars (odd formulation there).
>  More interesting wording: "These types of efforts have proven to be
> quite useful and popular to the community in the past. One ‘conference'
> slot and room support available for an ICANN community to host a
> pre-Public Meeting policy conference before each ICANN Public Meeting in
> FY15. To be developed by ICANN staff based on previous NCUC (San
> Francisco and Singapore) model. To the extent demand exceeds supply,
> conference slots will be initially selected by lottery and rotated among
> community groups as appropriate.”  So yes, a conference is possible
> before each public meeting.  Whether covered travelers’ allocations
> would thereby be extended to allow arrival a day earlier to attend is
> not clear.  Also not clear is whether/how soon we could get something
> again via lottery/rotation—I suppose they’d like to give a chance to
> others first.  Perhaps NCSG should propose something?

Clever idea.  but they might see through it.  In any case we should get
various ideas started to w have something to enter is each and every
lottery.

> *Extension for a year of the CROPP program for funding community
> representatives’ outreach attendance at meetings within their region.
>  We have yet to apply for any such support and should consider.

i will through my application in for support to attend the Toronto IETF
meeting, that is in my region.

> *Regularized funding now available for print publications, should we
> ever feel the urge.  Thus far we’ve only asked for and received money
> for printing of our brochure (English and Spanish) and Singapore
> conference program.  Issue papers etc. would be possible, if we could
> agree on doing such things.

great

congratulations.

avri