[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [NCSG-Discuss] Civil Society Nominations to Brazil Mtg Organizing Committees

Anandan frsdmdu at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jan 15 12:37:27 CET 2014

Congrats to all.

This is our strength

S.P. Anandan
India
On Wed, 15/1/14, Shahzad Ahmad <shahzad at bytesforall.pk> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [NCSG-Discuss] Civil Society Nominations to Brazil Mtg Organizing Committees
 To: ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org
 Date: Wednesday, 15 January, 2014, 3:48 PM

     Congratulations everyone. Clearly shows the strength of
 the network.

     Just wonder, why simple civil society processes, which
 can be fairly
     simple, based on mutual trust become so complicated.

     Hope larger community is also happy with the decision
 :)

     Keep up the great work everyone,

     Best wishes and regards

     Shahzad

     On 1/15/14, 1:53 PM, William Drake wrote:

     > Once again, NCUC is
 well
       represented?Jovan leads Diplo which is an org member,
 Stephanie
       will one of our reps on the new NCSG PC, Adam
 represents Glocom,
       an organizational member, and Marilia is a new
 individual member.
       4 of 5 is not a bad record?:-)

       > Congrats to them all,

       > Bill

       > Begin forwarded message:

       >> From: Robin Gross <robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG>

       >> Subject: [NCSG-Discuss] Civil Society
 Nominations to
       Brazil Mtg Organizing Committees

       >> Date: January 15, 2014 at 5:28:04 AM GMT+1

       >> To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

       >> FYI:

       >> I am pleased to announce the following
 selections for the
       Brazil Committees on behalf of the Civil Society
 Coordination
       Group. Many thanks to all the organisations and
 individuals who co
       ?operated in this collaborative effort and to those
 who
       contributed to a very talented list of names for
 consideration

       >> High Level Committee

       >> Jovan Kurbalija

       >> Stephanie Perrin

       >> Louis Pouzin

       >> Executive Multistakeholder Committee

       >> Adam Peake

       >> Marilia Maciel

       >> Biographical details appear below.

       >> The representatives were chosen from a field
 of 33
       applications for HLC and 24 applications for EMC,
 drawn from a
       widely disseminated call for nominations across
 various civil
       society networks, including IGC, Best Bits, APC, NCSG,
 Diplo, and
       associated civil society networks , and including
 nominations from
       other CS individuals as well. No nominations were
 denied full
       consideration.

       >> The full list of candidates was posted on the
 main civil
       society lists some time ago (let me know if you need a
 copy). We
       thank all the volunteers who put their names forward ?
 this was an
       incredibly talented field and making decisions on
 final candidates
       was subsequently a significant challenge.

       >> The selections were made by a Nomcom
 consisting of
       Virginia Paque (Diplo Foundation), Jeremy Malcolm
 (Best Bits),
       Chat Garcia Ramilo (APC) and Robin Gross (NCSG). Ian
 Peter was an
       independent non voting Chair.

       >> We have attempted to find a balance among the
 candidates
       who best fit our criteria for selection such factors
 as gender,
       geography, advocacy, knowledge, expertise, and
 constituency. While
       we had challenges, particularly in geography, we trust
 that the
       combination of candidates broadly represent the civil
 society
       community involved in this process. We believe that
 they will
       bring civil society perspectives and advocacy to the
 discussions
       and ensure that important issues of concern are not
 neglected.

       >> Biographical details are below.

       >> Ian Peter (non voting Chair)

       >> BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS

       >> Dr Jovan Kurbalija is the founding director
 of
       DiploFoundation. He is a former diplomat with a
 professional and
       academic background in international law, diplomacy,
 and
       information technology. In 1992, he established the
 Unit for IT
       and Diplomacy at the Mediterranean Academy of
 Diplomatic Studies
       in Malta. In 2002, after more than ten years of
 successful work in
       training, research, and publishing, the Unit evolved
 into
       DiploFoundation.

       >> Dr Kurbalija directs online learning courses
 on ICT and
       diplomacy and lectures in academic and training
 institutions in
       Switzerland, the United States, Austria, the United
 Kingdom, the
       Netherlands, and Malta. His main areas of research are
 diplomacy
       and the development of an international Internet
 regime, the use
       of hypertext in diplomacy, online negotiations and
 diplomatic law.

       >> Stephanie Perrin is recognized as an
 international expert
       in privacy and data protection and the social impact
 of
       technology, and is conducting doctoral research
 focused on privacy
       enhanced authentication technologies. Stephanie is a
 NCSG/NCUC
       member and has been a strong advocate for privacy on
 the ICANN
       Expert Working Group on Directory Services (aka
 "whois") for the
       last year.  Her experience includes several
 positions in the
       Canadian Government, including in Integrity Services
 at Service
       Canada, as Director of Research and Policy in the
 Office of the
       Privacy Commissioner, and as Director of Privacy
 Policy at
       Industry Canada where she was responsible for the
 development of
       the private sector privacy legislation (PIPEDA). She
 has worked in
       the private sector and has consulted broadly on
 privacy issues
       internationally, including advising on the first
 privacy policy
       for CIRA, the Canadian Internet Registration
 Authority. She is
       based in Canada.

       >> Louis Pouzin is one of the pioneers in
 computer
       communications and the Internet. He designed and
 directed the
       development of the Cyclades network in France, the
 first to use
       datagrams and matching end-to-end protocols, later
 adopted by the
       Internet. He is now retired and contributes to several
       associations and working groups related to Internet
 development.
       He has received ACM SIGCOMM and IEEE Internet awards
 and is a
       member of the Internet Hall of Fame. He graduated from
 Ecole
       Polytechnique in Paris, and has published 82 articles
 and a book
       on computer networks. Louis is a founder or Eurolinc
 and has been
       a strong advocate in internet governance discussions.

       >> Adam Peake is a senior researcher at the
 Center for
       Global Communications (GLOCOM), International
 University of Japan.
       He works on telecommunications, Internet and broadband
 policy, and
       follow-up activities for the World Summit on the
 Information
       Society (WSIS). Adam has been active in policy-making
 activities
       for the deployment and development of the Internet
 since the
       mid-1990s. He is an expert on the development and
 deployment of
       the broadband networks, services and applications in
 Japan, and
       has conducted numerous studies for Japanese corporate
 clients on
       telecommunications/Internet/ICTs in the United States,
 Europe,
       Africa and Asia. Adam teaches a short course on
 Internet policy
       for MBA students at the International University of
 Japan and is a
       former co ordinator of the Internet Governance
 Caucus.

       >> Marília Maciel works as a professor of
 Intellectual
       Property Law and also as a researcher at the Center
 for Technology
       and Society of the Getulio Vargas Foundation
 (CTS/FGV), in Brazil.
       She leads project Cultura Livre (Free Culture), which
 investigates
       how new media reshapes intellectual property and
 impacts cultural
       production and distribution. She also represents FGV
 at the
       Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights
 (SCCR) of the
       World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
 Marília has a
       Masters degree on Latin American Integration from the
 Federal
       University of Santa Maria and a Law degree from the
 Federal
       University of Pernambuco. She has been a tutor in the
 Internet
       Governance Capacity Building Programme, organized by
       DiploFoundation since 2008. She is also a member of
 the Remote
       Participation Working Group, composed by individuals
 from
       different countries who have joined together with the
 concern to
       enhance remote attendance in the Internet Governance
 Fórum.

       > William J. Drake

       > International Fellow & Lecturer

       >   Media Change & Innovation