[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: [NCSG-Discuss] Civil Society Nominations to Brazil Mtg Organizing Committees

Shahzad Ahmad shahzad at bytesforall.pk
Wed Jan 15 11:18:08 CET 2014

Congratulations everyone. Clearly shows the strength of the network.

Just wonder, why simple civil society processes, which can be fairly
simple, based on mutual trust become so complicated.

Hope larger community is also happy with the decision :)

Keep up the great work everyone,

Best wishes and regards
Shahzad

On 1/15/14, 1:53 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Once again, NCUC is well represented?Jovan leads Diplo which is an org member, Stephanie will
one of our reps on the new NCSG PC, Adam represents Glocom, an
organizational member, and Marilia is a new individual member.  4 of 5
is not a bad record?:-)

> Congrats to them all,
>
> Bill
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Robin Gross <robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG>
>> Subject: [NCSG-Discuss] Civil Society Nominations to Brazil Mtg
Organizing Committees
>> Date: January 15, 2014 at 5:28:04 AM GMT+1
>> To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>>
>> FYI:
>>
>> I am pleased to announce the following selections for the Brazil
Committees on behalf of the Civil Society Coordination Group. Many
thanks to all the organisations and individuals who co ?operated in this
collaborative effort and to those who contributed to a very talented
list of names for consideration

>> High Level Committee
>>
>> Jovan Kurbalija
>> Stephanie Perrin
>> Louis Pouzin
>>
>> Executive Multistakeholder Committee
>>
>> Adam Peake
>> Marilia Maciel
>>
>> Biographical details appear below.
>>
>> The representatives were chosen from a field of 33 applications for
HLC and 24 applications for EMC, drawn from a widely disseminated call
for nominations across various civil society networks, including IGC,
Best Bits, APC, NCSG, Diplo, and associated civil society networks , and
including nominations from other CS individuals as well. No nominations
were denied full consideration.

>> The full list of candidates was posted on the main civil society
lists some time ago (let me know if you need a copy). We thank all the
volunteers who put their names forward ? this was an incredibly talented
field and making decisions on final candidates was subsequently a
significant challenge.

>> The selections were made by a Nomcom consisting of Virginia Paque
(Diplo Foundation), Jeremy Malcolm (Best Bits), Chat Garcia Ramilo (APC)
and Robin Gross (NCSG). Ian Peter was an independent non voting Chair.

>> We have attempted to find a balance among the candidates who best fit
our criteria for selection such factors as gender, geography, advocacy,
knowledge, expertise, and constituency. While we had challenges,
particularly in geography, we trust that the combination of candidates
broadly represent the civil society community involved in this process.
We believe that they will bring civil society perspectives and advocacy
to the discussions and ensure that important issues of concern are not
neglected.

>> Biographical details are below.
>>
>> Ian Peter (non voting Chair)
>>
>> BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS
>>
>> Dr Jovan Kurbalija is the founding director of DiploFoundation. He is
a former diplomat with a professional and academic background in
international law, diplomacy, and information technology. In 1992, he
established the Unit for IT and Diplomacy at the Mediterranean Academy
of Diplomatic Studies in Malta. In 2002, after more than ten years of
successful work in training, research, and publishing, the Unit evolved
into DiploFoundation.

>> Dr Kurbalija directs online learning courses on ICT and diplomacy and
lectures in academic and training institutions in Switzerland, the
United States, Austria, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Malta.
His main areas of research are diplomacy and the development of an
international Internet regime, the use of hypertext in diplomacy, online
negotiations and diplomatic law.

>> Stephanie Perrin is recognized as an international expert in privacy
and data protection and the social impact of technology, and is
conducting doctoral research focused on privacy enhanced authentication
technologies. Stephanie is a NCSG/NCUC member and has been a strong
advocate for privacy on the ICANN Expert Working Group on Directory
Services (aka "whois") for the last year.  Her experience includes
several positions in the Canadian Government, including in Integrity
Services at Service Canada, as Director of Research and Policy in the
Office of the Privacy Commissioner, and as Director of Privacy Policy at
Industry Canada where she was responsible for the development of the
private sector privacy legislation (PIPEDA). She has worked in the
private sector and has consulted broadly on privacy issues
internationally, including advising on the first privacy policy for
CIRA, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority. She is based in Canada.

>> Louis Pouzin is one of the pioneers in computer communications and
the Internet. He designed and directed the development of the Cyclades
network in France, the first to use datagrams and matching end-to-end
protocols, later adopted by the Internet. He is now retired and
contributes to several associations and working groups related to
Internet development. He has received ACM SIGCOMM and IEEE Internet
awards and is a member of the Internet Hall of Fame. He graduated from
Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, and has published 82 articles and a book
on computer networks. Louis is a founder or Eurolinc and has been a
strong advocate in internet governance discussions.

>> Adam Peake is a senior researcher at the Center for Global
Communications (GLOCOM), International University of Japan. He works on
telecommunications, Internet and broadband policy, and follow-up
activities for the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS). Adam
has been active in policy-making activities for the deployment and
development of the Internet since the mid-1990s. He is an expert on the
development and deployment of the broadband networks, services and
applications in Japan, and has conducted numerous studies for Japanese
corporate clients on telecommunications/Internet/ICTs in the United
States, Europe, Africa and Asia. Adam teaches a short course on Internet
policy for MBA students at the International University of Japan and is
a former co ordinator of the Internet Governance Caucus.

>> Marília Maciel works as a professor of Intellectual Property Law and
also as a researcher at the Center for Technology and Society of the
Getulio Vargas Foundation (CTS/FGV), in Brazil. She leads project
Cultura Livre (Free Culture), which investigates how new media reshapes
intellectual property and impacts cultural production and distribution.
She also represents FGV at the Standing Committee on Copyright and
Related Rights (SCCR) of the World Intellectual Property Organization
(WIPO). Marília has a Masters degree on Latin American Integration from
the Federal University of Santa Maria and a Law degree from the Federal
University of Pernambuco. She has been a tutor in the Internet
Governance Capacity Building Programme, organized by DiploFoundation
since 2008. She is also a member of the Remote Participation Working
Group, composed by individuals from different countries who have joined
together with the concern to enhance remote attendance in the Internet
Governance Fórum.