[NCUC-DISCUSS] Non Contracted Parties House Election Procedures 2011

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Feb 13 21:47:45 CET 2014

On 13-Feb-14 12:30, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> I am sorry to use the terms, but my point was really one of who do board members represent, when they are nominated and elected?  Can you please explain how this nomination process works?  I have read the materials and I am no wiser.  When I say Bill is “nice” I mean, he is sympathetic to various perspectives.  My question is, was he nominated because he represented civil society (through the Internet Society, or ALAC, or which constituency) and if as Bill D says he was elected by the business constituency, then is it a requirement to figure out who would be accepted by the business constituency??
> Replace strident with “an effective and passionate advocate for civil society, insofar as it has collectively identified its issues and strategies”.
> cheers Stephanie

While elected from an SG or SO or ALAC, or appointed by the misnomer
call nomcom, a Board serves the interests of ICANN first and foremost as
any Board memebr in a Corporaton.  Of course that means serving your
interpretation of the ICANN's mission for the public interest etc..

Now, the person elected by a group should have some affinity with the
views of those who elect and is accountable in respect to need
re-election.  So if there is a mismatch between what the Board member
does and the beliefs of the electors (in this case the gnso council
members from the NCPH - Non contracted party house = CSG + NCSG + 1 NCA
(nomcom appointee)), they won't relect.

To get elected by the NCPH one must get 8 votes, rounds of voting until
then.  That means that even if you get a majority of 1 SG + 1 NCA you
still need one vote from the other party.

last time in round 1, i got 7 to Bill's 6.
in the second round I lost 2 NCSG votes, so it became 5 to Bill's 8.

So just like they got Bill who some NCs appreciate, NCSG needs to get
someone who can draw at least one CSG voter - though practically that
means 1 CSG constituency.

Unless the rules are changed, of course.  But just as we don't want them
to make common cause with the NCA and overwhelm us, they don't want us
to make common cause with the NCA to overwhelm them.  Beyond that, no
one wants to give the NCA that much power to decide.

avri