[NCUC-DISCUSS] Only one woman

Milan, Stefania Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu
Wed Apr 9 00:53:33 CEST 2014

Thanks everyone for sharing so many good projects, not everything I was aware of. I knew there were many active people in this list, but seeing so many caring about this is refreshing (I am a new member, remember).

When temporarily working at the ministry of education of my country I had made several attempts in this direction, with promising outcomes (except the government didn't last long enough for any implementation) - hence my interest.

ps my mum was a programmer :-) I got a hard science education, but ended up at university doing something completely different, still maintaining a passion for messing around with machines and software. Proof that freedom of choice is the way to go, but that we need to multiply the role models for those who are too young to be on this list! Thanks for all your work and dedication.

stefi

________________________________
Da: ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org <ncuc-discuss-bounces at lists.ncuc.org> per conto di Kathy Kleiman <kathy at kathykleiman.com>
Inviato: martedì 8 aprile 2014 23.10
A: ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org
Oggetto: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Only one woman

Hooray, and tx you so much, Alex!

I founded and run the ENIAC Programmers Project -- that researched and now works to tell the story of the six young women who programmed the first all-electronic, digital computer, as part of a secret WWII project in the US. When the ENIAC was unveiled to the press and the public in 1946, after the War, the hardware engineers and Army officers (all men) were introduced, but the women (the programmers were not). One of the reasons we think girls shy away from computing is the lack of role models -- and we are trying to bring these invisible women into the light!

My quite-old-website-which-is-soon-to-get-a-big-revamp can be found at www.eniacprogrammers.org<http://www.eniacprogrammers.org>

Best,
Kathy

@Kathy,

I mentioned ENIAC project on slide No. 5 :-)

Alex