[NCUC-DISCUSS] Scope creep and renegade was Re: NCUC Statement on PRISM?

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 20:38:19 CET 2013

And yes, we do agree that we disagree.  You've expressed the very
shortsightedness I see broadly among all those who are getting excited
over WSIS.  There are some things that can work to an extent as
interim measures (before the day comes when it's actually a context
rooted in the people), but, for instance, those approaches are not
"borderless" (and can't be).  If you try to count on the international
arena for rights, you'll be duped.

Seth

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at churchofreality.org> wrote:
> I have to disagree.
>
> The model that the only actors I think is a paradigm that evolution is going
> to erase. The new paradigm is a wold community where governments are just
> one of many seats at the table. I think the Internet is making a new world
> order where people like us can get in on the ground floor and do it right.
>

> On 10/28/2013 12:02 AM, Seth Johnson wrote:
>>
>> People are pretty clueless about the fundamental limits of the
>> international arena.  Rights simply don't have the same standing
>> there, and governments (via their executive branches, I expect in
>> probably every case) are the actors that conclude decisions.
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The only way I can make sense of Fadi's actions here (granted I'm not
>>> expert on all the details because I haven't had time to absorb it all) is
>>> sort of in the guise of "foreign affairs" and "treaties" if one were to
>>> compare ICANN to a national government institution.
>>>
>>> I see your point that general IG is going to affect ICANN, sure that
>>> makes
>>> sense.  But I don't see ICANN as the *forum* where that is going to