[NCUC-DISCUSS] Protect The Children From the Dangers of the Internet Workshop

MEDA Shefqet medashefqet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 12:11:04 CET 2013

find below a paragraph from European Commission web page " Digital Agenda
for Europe":

Self-regulation for a Better Internet for Kids

* *

*Self-regulation is one of the instruments of the European Strategy to
create a better Internet for Children.*

They way children use the Internet and mobile technologies has changed
dramatically in the past years. At the same time, the internet can open a
wide range of opportunities for youngsters when used safely and
responsibly. In order to ensure that children, parents and teachers have
access to the right tools and information for a safe use of the internet
and new technologies, we support industry self-regulation. This enables
industry to create a system by which they can deal rapidly with any
security challenges that may arise.

Some self-regulatory initiatives have already been taken, with our support,
by the industry at European level.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Mark Leiser <markleiser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry - completely disagree. "Protecting children" is often abused and
> used a mantra for imposing government control, filters, and other forms of
> control on the Internet. 90% of all child abuse comes WITHIN the home, NOT
> the Internet. I want no part of any NCUC position or letters arguing
> greater control over the Internet in the name of protecting children, and
> would campaign against the NCUC taking any measures to do so.
>
> Mark
>

> Mark Leiser, BS, LLB (Hon) | PhD Candidate | University of Strathclyde |
> Faculty of Humanities and Social Science | The Law School l Centre for
> Internet Law and Policy | PGR Room, 141 St. James Road | Lord Hope Building
> | Glasgow G4 OLT | Tel. +44 7719739090
>

> Email: markleiser at gmail.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mleiser
> LinkedIN: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=189149411&trk=tab_pro
> Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/105289982691060086995/posts
>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Andrei Barburas <abarburas at iicd.org>wrote:
>
>> Hello Hago,
>>
>> While I completely agree with you, I think we should also focus a bit on
>> the parents, not only the kids. I believe we can all agree that Child
>> Protection, both online and offline, is extremely important, but I also
>> believe that parents should also have a relatively clear understanding of
>> what is happening and what are the risks of not being "careful" with the
>> amount of freedom they give their kids.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> *Andrei Barburas*
>>
>> CRSO/IO
>>

>> International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD)
>>
>> P.O. Box 11586, 2502 AN The Hague, The Netherlands
>>
>> NPOC, ICANN member
>>

>> M: +31 62 928 2879
>>
>> T: +31 70 311 7311 | F: +31 70 311 7322
>> Website: iicd.org <http://www.iicd.org/> | Check out our Annual Report
>> for 2012; We reached one million beneficiaries in Health.. Imagine that!<http://annualreport.iicd.org>
>>

>> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the
>> addressee or addressees only. The unauthorized disclosure, use,
>> dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not
>> permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
>> and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity
>> cannot be guaranteed by the sender. Please consider the environment
>> before printing this email.
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Hago Dafalla <dafalla at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear William Dark;
>>>
>>> Children are the most beautiful thing we possess. Adults have to
>>> maintain and protect them against threats. Young people and children are
>>> frequent users of information and communication technology and the
>>> Internet, and therefore they need to be aware of and should be kept
>>> informed of the risks and responsibilities on the Internet. The main
> [...]

Shefqet Meda

Electronic and Postal Communications Authority
Directorate of Technical Regulation
Director
Tel: 0355672026388
email: shefqet.meda at akep.al