[NCUC-DISCUSS] Scope creep and renegade was Re: NCUC Statement on PRISM?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Oct 28 07:30:24 CET 2013

The only way I can make sense of Fadi's actions here (granted I'm not
expert on all the details because I haven't had time to absorb it all) is
sort of in the guise of "foreign affairs" and "treaties" if one were to
compare ICANN to a national government institution.

I see your point that general IG is going to affect ICANN, sure that makes
sense.  But I don't see ICANN as the *forum* where that is going to happen.
More like: ICANN would do well to be represented in that forum as such.

In any case, this stuff is not likely to emerge *out of* ICANN in any
significant institutional manner, so far as I can see (and I wouldn't want
it to, given ICANN's continuing dirty laundry).

I support these discussions at IGF, etc.  That seems an appropriate
institutional venue to have them.  And let NCUC members be robustly present
in force, by all means.  And I have no doubt the rest of ICANN's community
will be there to the extent they care and allocate the resources.

I just would not feel good about the prospect of *building* World/IG *out
of* ICANN as an institutional platform.  Not good at all.  Pretty jittery,
in fact.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.