[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Statement on PRISM?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Oct 28 05:11:55 CET 2013

Nothing wrong with it being "us" in terms of individuals who happen to be
members of NCUC, etc.  And now is a good time to explore the ideas.

But ICANN per se I believe is not a useful "venue" or institution to
promote whatever goals this community might come up with.  Its particular
institutional structure and mandate is peculiar to a particular origin
surrounding a particular narrowly technical need, and that structure is not
IMHO best suited for the institutional needs of whatever our broader goals
might be.

What Fadi is doing is totally renegade, from the standpoint of ICANN formal
structure.  It is ad hoc to the point of being essentially outside the
ICANN institution as such.  He's just making sh** up and acting as an
individual, using the ICANN imprimatur as a legitimizing device.  You seem
to be reaching to meet him in that ad hoc space, and that places you
outside the ICANN institution as well.

ICANN's institutional dynamics have enough problems just dealing with the
narrow issues.  It has not proven itself capable or suitable for addressing
even broader concerns, as it has been increasingly overcome with ad hoc
actions in violation of the policy making structure that was set up at the
outset, and even with regard to tweaks in the last few years.

If I were going to address the broad issues (and I would like to), ICANN is
by no means the place I'd try to build from.  This institution is
systematically fraught, and increasingly so in recent years.

It's a "luxury" to suggest this institution can be productively reshaped
from an outlier advisory group such as NCUC to accomplish the broad goals
you are aiming for.  I think that is almost certainly a setup for failure.

The goals are worthy, the time is pressing, the individuals here are likely
participants to recruit.  The institution is far, far, far from being the
best place to stand to build it forward.  The more ICANN reaches into
broader issues, the less accountable it seems to be, the more ad hoc it
seems to be, the more vulnerable it seems to being hijacked by power
players out for their own narrow aims (and that sure ain't *us*), and the
less likely it seems to be a place where any of this can really get started
in a way that respects the broader interests of the world public.  We spend
all our time just trying to hold the line against encroachments on The
Right Thing for the public as represented by civil society.

Please, look for somewhere else to get this started.  I can see no good
coming of an effort to build it here at ICANN.  That choice would more
likely hold back the very goals you (and others including myself) seek to
achieve.

Don't get fixated on this institution as the place to stand.  This
institution is young, still highly experimental, and far from proven as a
broadly generalizable model for collective governance, which is what your
mission requires.

Better, it seems to me, to either start from scratch somewhere else, or
find a less unlikely existing platform to build from.  The idea of trying
to build this movement at ICANN makes me shudder and despair for the
prospect of success in the mission.  It is just about the wrongest place to
start from that I can think of.

This has utterly nothing to do with your philosophical ideas (which I
haven't even taken time to read) -- this is purely about the choice of
institutional setting to talk about any such ideas in a broad sense.

Not here.  Find somewhere else (in public policy jargon: "shop for a
different venue").  It won't work here, because of the institutional
structure (both the formal structure in principle, and even more the
informal structure as distorted in practice).  Choosing ICANN would IMHO
doom the project to the highest possible likelihood of failure, compared to
just about any other institutional platform, except maybe ITU.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.