[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fadi's strategy panels

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Fri Oct 18 19:15:12 CEST 2013

Marc,

People have been talking about "world government" for many decades, since
well before the Internet was a twinkle in DARPA's eye.  It may or may not
happen, and if it does happen it may or may not happen as quickly as one
might imagine (there remain *lots* of sticky obstacles to it, that have
nothing to do with information technology, and are not much affected by
info tech).  The Internet does not guarantee it, and at least does not
necessarily hasten it, however much one thinks it (Internet) may motivate
it (world government).

If WG is to happen, there is not that much reason to expect it will emerge
out of ICANN per se (however much some folks at ICANN may seem to be
moving in that direction), or to think that ICANN would be the ideal venue
to push for it.  I'm not sure how to interpret Fadi's efforts here, other
than to view it as personal opportunism on Fadi's part, only related to
ICANN because he has found this venue to be a tool for his individual
advancement on the world stage, for the moment.

There *are* other forums better suited to address this sort of thing.
IGF, for one.  I personally don't think ICANN's explicit mandate is a good
fit for addressing the broader potentials, and it would be better to keep
ICANN per se out of these things to the extent we can.  Better to form a
separate, independent group, with a self-defined mandate (rather than one
even only pro-forma attached to USG) and quite possibly recruit from ICANN
participants to participate there in addition.

In any case, any individual may participate in anything they are eligible
for, and that's not a bad thing.  I would like to see many of the great
advocates we have here participate in other institutional contexts (cf.
Wolfgang and a number of others).

But I agree with those who think that dragging ICANN per se into this
issue as an institution would be counterproductive in many ways.  ICANN is
not an effective institutional platform from which to address such
matters, IMHO.

Better to find another place to stand in order to move the Earth in that
Aristotelian manner, I think.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.