[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Election 2013

Edward Morris egmorris100 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 15:41:01 CET 2013

Good morning / afternoon / evening everybody,

An interesting inbox for me this morning. Rather than clutter up your inbox
with multiple responses, let me try to condense certain thoughts in this
one post:

1. I'm  very sad to learn that Carlos has decided not to run for
re-election as the E.C. member from Latin America.

Carlos is an extremely successful, extremely busy man. We need people like
him on this E.C. That's one of the reasons some of us have been trying to
regularize the conduct of E.C. affairs to include basics like regular
meetings, agendas, minutes: things that would allow busy successful people
 to more easily join and participate in the E.C. But enough policy
talk..more Carlos talk!

I first met Carlos at the Beijing meeting. We had a small E.C. meeting in
the corridor and what struck me was how practical and efficient Carlos was
in thought. I love our many academics but let's face it: decisiveness and
efficiency in thought is not a trait one associates with the academic
community. In Beijing we'd be talking about some of our problems and the
rest of us would be speaking of theories and complex machinations to solve
the difficulty at hand and then Carlos would say four words, propose a
solution (for example, hire someone to do x rather than draw things out
searching for a volunteer with a particular skill set) and move on.

That's true leadership, true ability and I'm honoured to have served with
this man on the E.C. during the past year. Thank you so much for your work
and guidance Carlos. I frankly hope you change your mind but know you'll be
very active as the world visits Brazil next spring. We are very fortunate
to have you in our family.

2.  I am very happy to second the nomination of Tapani Tarvainen as
the NCUCExecutive Committee member from Europe. Boy, am I.

See this: http://www.ncuc.org/ ? A lot of people had input in the web
revamp: Jolly, Brenden, Sarah  (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...apologies)
but without the fine work of Wilson and Tapani this web site would not
exist. The countless hours these two men have put into this project should
earn them the thanks, respect and admiration of each and every member of
the NCUC community. It doesn't end there with Tapani, though. This man is a
lot more than a techie...

Tapani has been absolutely relentless in attempting to create an EC that is
run (let's face it folks...the principle purpose of the EC is to make
things work and to support our members in policy making positions, no more,
no less ) professionally, competently and impartially. He wants an E.C.
open to all. receptive to all, not just to certain people. He's insisted
with compliance with our Bylaws, while working to revise them. He's pushed
for formal meetings so even busy people can schedule and participate in
them, he's insisted on open records so when I'm writing the first draft of
the NCSG DIDP I did not do so thinking I'm asking ICANN to do something we
are not. He's a pretty amazing man.

Yet above all there is one word that I most associate with Tapani Tarvainen:
Integrity. A lot of people in this world go along to get along but not
Tapani. In each and every situation him and I have worked together on I've
noticed Tapani does not what is easiest, not what is the most politically
expedient, not that which would make his life easier, but instead
Tapanialways does what he feels is right. Do we always agree on
things: no, but I
know that when we disagree on things it's done on the bass of principle and
not of expediency.

This is a type of man not only we as a group need more of, but the type of
man world overall needs more of. I strongly endorse Tarpani's candidacy for
the NCUC EC or anything else he wants to do. He really is that good.

3. I am in strong disagreement and deeply concerned with the suggestion
that this Constituency in any way needs to dampen enthusiasm for anything,
including elections or candidates.

In the abstract I agree with the concept that we should have an election
period after candidate statements. It's already a topic that we in the
bylaws revision effort have placed on the agenda for discussion (http://pad.
ncuc.org/p/bylaws ). Given it's new saliency I'll do my best to ensure this
idea is proposed and debated during Constituency Day at the  Buenos
Airesmeetings. I know the person who made the post, like and respect
him very
much, but I'd suggest he join with us on the bylaws revision committee (
http://www.ncuc.org/bylaws-revision-committee/ ) if he would like to  make
changes to the electoral process we already have. He'll have my full
support in his effort to do so.

The suggestion we stifle  expressions of thought and speech for a later
time is not how things are currently organized, though, nor as others have
pointed out it's not how things have been done in the past here in the
NCUCor in the
NCSG. During the recent NCSG elections people ran amuck with +1's and
endorsements during the nomination period. Last year I was the recipient of
a number of endorsements and +1's. No suggestion was made then that people
suppress their enthusiasm or endorsements for any of the candidates.

I'm known for being direct so let me be so here: At the time the post was
made suggesting we dampen enthusiasm and refrain from +1's and endorsements
I was the only candidate receiving them. The proposal could be perceived as
an attack on my candidacy or on those supporting me. Given the fine
character of the person making the post I do not believe that was the
intent,  but judging by private e-mails I've received it has been perceived
that way by some. Let me address that perception by discussing my putative
candidacy for the E.C.

I did not intend to run for re-election. This position should be a
positive, life affirming volunteer slot. There is so much we can do working
together but for a number of reasons it has not been. I think that's true
for others on the E.C. as well. It's sad because there's a lot of talent in
this group and in the right environment I think we can do some pretty
fantastic things.

As nominations opened and nobody stepped forward for ANY position I was
encouraged by others to step up and  put myself forward with the hope we
could change the environment in the E.C. and make things work better. I
agreed to be nominated with the provision that I would only accept the
nomination if I thought we could really make the changes necessary to
function better as a group. That's where I'm at today. Any decision I make
regarding acceptance of the nomination will have to involve my assessment
of the situation, consultation with my beautiful and loving girlfriend,
others important to me and, yes, all of you. That's why the +1's and
endorsements are so helpful to me in reaching a decision on whether to run
and why suggestions to suppress these electoral expressions less than
helpful, at least for me.

I'm deeply humbled by the fact that every regional representative of the
current NCUC Executive Committee has encouraged me to run and has indicated
their support for my candidacy. To have the support of the elected
representatives of Latin America, Asia, Europe and Africa  is an amazing
feeling for someone from North America. These are the guys I've sweated and
toiled with for a year trying to make things better for all of us. More
than any other member of this community they know what's been going on
within the E.C. and that they have blessed me with their support...well,
again, humbled.

Of greater importance is the support I've received from some of our newest
members, people I helped bring into the community and have in some cases
been tutoring ever since. Some are still observing how things work, others
are working on the bylaws committee, still others have joined a few
ICANNworking groups. Maria, Anthony, Patrick, Ari, Kate, anyone I've
forgotten -
you guys are our future. Thank you so much for your support. That's why I'm
disturbed to awaken this morning to a few e-mails from you guys and gals
asking me if by supporting me you did something wrong. Although some may
think so, in my opinion absolutely not.

Look, folks, we need more enthusiasm in this Constituency, not less. We
need more active participation, not less.  We need more diversity, not
less, we need more openness, not less. We need more of everyone, not less
of anyone. If any of you want to support me or Hago or Mickey Mouse (better
get the permission of the IPC first; one of their companies owns him :) )
or anyone else you do it. Do not let anyone tell you to suppress anything.
We want your energy, we want your enthusiasm, we want your ideas, we want
your time and your effort, during the elections and after.

In fact, we need all of you. Last night I came back from the ballet to
learn that ICANN had responded to the DIDP request I had helped write. I
needed to work on that. I had back reading on a WG I'm in . Did that. I
started to respond to some e-mails regarding this stuff. Soon it was 4 in
the morning. What's amazing is I give a lot less time than many others. We
have one senior member whom I believe does this work both while awake and
asleep. Or she never sleeps :).

We need more people, we need more help and, to our new members,  we need
you. Please don't let anyone suggest too much enthusiasm, for me or
anything else in the NCUC,  is a bad thing. We need all we can get.

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend everyone.

Ed