[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Event News

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue May 28 17:14:05 CEST 2013

Hi Ed

On May 28, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> There was a gentleman in our group who earlier in the year, though, got me thinking. He told me he wanted to make sure the NCUC was not seen as the programming arm of ICANN. He argued against events at every Meeting. At first I disagreed then, I thought, he has a point. This isn't what we are about. That man was Bill Drake.

I believe I was there then, and that what he said was that it would be a mistake to try to organize a full one day conference before every ICANN meeting, as another colleague had enthusiastically suggested.  I don't think he was saying he opposed ever doing a workshop on a subject of hot debate at a meeting where the GAC and Board will both be trying to decide stuff; that strikes me as a juicy opportunity, sort of thing he'd go for.  I also don't think he agrees that workshops are just academic playthings unrelated to advocacy, but will check.

Cheers

Bill