[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Event News

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue May 28 15:38:02 CEST 2013

Hi Ed

On May 27, 2013, at 11:52 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> ICANN is a different matter. There we should be using programming to push our positions, purposeful education if you will.

I guess I'm having trouble with the argument that a workshop on a topic where there's some internal differences of opinion is a bad thing (to me it's a counter to the BS stereotype we've lived with forever that noncommercial is somehow unduly monolithic in view, and more so than other SGs) or merely educational (it's a big debate).

> To justify this by saying it's linked to our IGF presentation,,,that's the tail wagging the dog.

???  The point was it is something that is already sort of organized with text we can use, which matters since staff wanted the workshop proposal yesterday and has asked me again for it today.  We do not have a text describing a workshop on staff end runs around the MS process.  And since others appear to be ok with the alternative, a quick consensus to assemble one I can give Glen ASAP doesn't seem likely.

I also remain exceedingly unconvinced that a workshop is the appropriate format to address the staff's rejection of the reconsideration request.  Workshops are about openly debating issues, perspectives, etc., with a panel and audience.  For something like that, I think I can talk staff into giving us a slot.  Workshops are not optimized for crowds with pitchforks going after the staff and board.  For that other formats would be better, e.g.:

1.  I see the GNSO Council will be taking this up on its next call and may invite the BGC.  Our Councilors and other SG reps could decide to have further Council discussion with BCG response in Durban as well.

2.  We can address it in a letter on the ATRT; Mary's got a draft that does this.  I am also in the process of setting up a meeting with the ATRT team for Constituency Day.  We can take it up with them there as well.

3.  We can take it up with board in the NCSG meeting.

4.  NCUC or NCSG can organize a cross-constituency meeting in Durban.  Go ahead and get yer ya yas out organizing it, I'm all for it.

Lots of options, some already being pursued.  So it's not obvious a workshop needs to be added to the mix.

Given the compressed timeline and the expressions of support here for a workshop on closed generics, I hope you can roll with a rough consensus so I can get this moving and have something to Glen in a couple days.

Now I need to get back to the IGF MAG list, where the Chinese government is unilaterally trying to overthrow a different rough consensus…

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland