[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Nicolas nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 24 05:43:55 CET 2013

On 2013-03-22 11:44, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> (...)
>
> So, while you may vociferously object to it, you may want to consider
> that what is considered ham-handed Staff intervention by some might be
> considered by others that finally someone -- even occasionally and
> partially -- is asserting the interests of non-domain-owning end-users.

> As Alan Greenberg noted in his analysis of the staff action on the
> TMCH Strawman proposals.
>
> /Although the outcomes were not exactly as the ALAC advised (in terms
> of what required policy development), all of the IP protections that
> ICANN will be moving ahead with were supported by the ALAC, and the
> one additional protection that the ALAC explicitly did not support
> will not be implemented./

Pardon me but I was thinking that non-domain-owning end-users (just like
domain-owning *civil society* end-users) interests' were, in a
non-trivial part, about protecting speech from periodic assault by
expansion of trademark protection. It is, also -- conveniently since it
implies pretty much the same positions on policy areas -- their
interests to ensure that domain names market stays innovative and
competitive and isn't slowed to a crawl or captured by policy tools that
restrict the coming into existence of some names that would effectively
challenge what would otherwise be appropriation of languages memes (see
our closed generic debate, and Avri's cleverer names variations than
mine on just this point).

I take it that ALAC did not find anything to complain about with regard
strawman's point 4 (the 50 variations) and nothing either about the
"added criminal liability" policy modifications that are an added burden
on innocent prospective domain name registrant from, say, civil society.
I take it you objected to the blocking proposal.

So, as a -- as of now but may change in the future -- non-domain-owning
end-user, member of a civil society (which I largely take to be ALAC's
clientele, forgive my mistake in advance if that is not the case), I
should feel that my interests were well asserted in this matter and
should be glad of ALAC's work ? I would more readily fire you (vote you
out) as incapable of coming to grasp with what my interest are, let
alone asserting them, then i would feel represented or asserted in this
matter.

Nicolas