[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Evan Leibovitch evan at TELLY.ORG
Fri Mar 22 17:52:55 CET 2013

On 22 March 2013 12:39, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

And I understand the ALAC, and maybe even the At-LArge if they knew what
> was going on,  being happy with the decisions being made by ICANN Sr. Staff.
>
> But these decisions are not being made using an improved policy process as
> suggested by R3, they are being made despotically.  So while you may be
> happy with the benevolence expressed in these decisions, as someone who is
> both user and registrant and both NCSG and At-Large, I worry about the
> trend to despotism.

I understand and agree. This should not be a "ends justify the means"
scenario, which is the best-case explanation.

It was not so long ago that staff was far less hospitable to the PoV; as
such there is little desire to enshrine a process in place that could
change in both intent and result based on who is hired and fired.

> Remember the quote about freedom and security: (approx) those who trade
> freedom for security, neither achieve not deserve either.  If we trade away
> the multistakeholder development process to get a few consumer advantages
> today, what will we be giving up in the long run?  I agree we need to
> improve those process, but circumventing them is problematic.

For enough.

> Ps. Not sure why you need a firefighter's suit.  You are a vice-chair of
> ALAC and speak for them.

Actually, I am certainly not saying what I do as an endorsed expression of
anything. These are my own comments; my position simply offers me a good
vantage point from which to observe. but I don't claim to definitively
speak for ALAC. I say what I do as a mere liaison, trying to suggest
differing perspectives, concerns, and opportunities.

- Evan