[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN is bottom-up, except for when it is top-down. Fwd: Memorandum on the Trademark Clearinghouse ³Strawman Solution²

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Mar 22 17:39:34 CET 2013

Hi Evan,

As you know I agree with much of what you see in terms of improvements to the process and the inclusion of all voices in the multistakeholder process.

And I understand the ALAC, and maybe even the At-LArge if they knew what was going on,  being happy with the decisions being made by ICANN Sr. Staff.

But these decisions are not being made using an improved policy process as suggested by R3, they are being made despotically.  So while you may be happy with the benevolence expressed in these decisions, as someone who is both user and registrant and both NCSG and At-Large, I worry about the trend to despotism.

Remember the quote about freedom and security: (approx) those who trade freedom for security, neither achieve not deserve either.  If we trade away the multistakeholder development process to get a few consumer advantages today, what will we be giving up in the long run?  I agree we need to improve those process, but circumventing them is problematic.

avri

Ps. Not sure why you need a firefighter's suit.  You are a vice-chair of ALAC and speak for them.