[NCSG-Discuss] Independent Objector Weighs In on "closed/private" tlds

joy joy at apc.org
Mon Mar 18 04:29:57 CET 2013

Thanks Bill. GNSO Councillors have to try and represent constuents
views - at present I'd sum those up on this topic as: divergent.
I note that the NCUC submission on new gTLDs and human rights last
year (which is available here)  http://t.co/tEUIN4Ho emphasised a
rights based approach including:
* general starting point of rights and freedoms
* no, or narrow, limitations on freedom of expression
* where applications conflict, prioritising those that would best
promote and protect vulnerable or marginalised groups
* where multiple rights issues arise ICANN should favour availability
and take the most rights affirming and least rights intrusive approach
I favour taking a rights based approach in each case, rather than
focusing on whether "closed" vs "open" generics are permissible per se.
On balance, while I don't agree with all of the Independent Objector's
reasoning (and I haven't read all his notes) I think he has clearly
tried to take (and indeed has taken) a measured approach - and I
support his conclusions in relation to dotgay for example. And I am
very glad we have a process by which they can be added to this process.

Joy