[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at ph.net
Wed Mar 13 03:17:32 CET 2013

On 03/12/2013 01:56 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a mental exercise, what are the technical implications and risks of private/restricted TLDs other than the addition of EPP functionality for confirming when a registration is allowed?

   For closed TLDs (brand or generic), why would they need EPP if they themselves
plan to run their own registrars?

   I see no logic why a dotBrand, say .IBM, would need to go through an outside
registrar for the company to register domains for its own use.

   For closed generics, if one agrees with the premise that registration is
restricted to those approved by the registry, why would the registry
need an external registrar at all?

--
Bombim Cadiz