[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics - history

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Mar 8 19:00:56 CET 2013

I was on the GNSO Council in the years we were developing the policy
recommendations for new gtlds so I can say a little bit about what
the debate and discussion was like in those days.  Anyone who is
looking through records of old GNSO policy discussions to find the
words "closed generics shall be permitted... in the new gtld space"
won't find it for two main reasons.  First, the term "closed generic"
only came up long after the GNSO passed its policy recommendations
and after the board approved the recommendations.  This term "closed
generics" was a label given to certain new gtld applications *after*
they applied to ICANN and others didn't like them, sometimes because
they were business competitors and others have a public interest
concern.

The other reason one isn't going to find the words "closed generics
shall be allowed" in the policy debates is because we were not trying
to imagine every possible "type" of gtld that would be created and
have a debate about whether that "type" of new gtld is in the public
interest and should be allowed.  Quite the contrary.  We were
operating under the premise that we would come up with policies of
things that would *NOT* be allowed and then allow all other
possibilities to flow.  So we were operating under the premise of
'that which is not explicitly forbidden, shall be allowed'.  And all
the debate and discussion was about what should we *NOT* allow.  And
we had a lot of debate and discussion about that.  NCUC spearheaded
the initial "Keep the Core Neutral Campaign" to encourage ICANN to
stay away from over-regulation and prohibiting lawful speech in
domain names.

So in those gtld policy formulation debates someone would propose "no
2-letter gtlds, cause those should go to ccTLDs".   And someone else
would propose "no gtlds that can't meet adequate security
standards."  And someone else would propose "no gtlds that violate a
trademark."  And someone else would propose "no gtlds that wouldn't
be considered 'polite dinner conversation."  And so on.  We were
coming up with lassez-faire recommendations to allow all that is
legal, except for all these various little carve-outs that we fought
over night and day for more than half a decade. (And there were far
too many of them for NCUC's liking!)

And in all those discussions, I don't remember anyone ever saying "no
gtlds that could be considered a generic word may be registered for
private purposes".  No one ever brought up the concept of "closed
generics" or raised it as something we should prohibit or be
concerned about.  So irrespective of the underlying merits of the pro/
con of private label tlds, why wasn't it raised at the time we were
debating what should NOT be allowed in the name space?  And if one
can't find discussion of "closed generics" in the hallowed records,
it is because we discussed what we should NOT allow, and permitted
all else that is lawful.

I confess I'm not passionate about this particular issue.  Just puzzled.

Robin

On Mar 8, 2013, at 9:17 AM, David Cake wrote:

> On 09/03/2013, at 12:19 AM, Avri Doria <avri at ACM.ORG> wrote:
>
>> ( i really wish the NCSG list would accept my email the first time
>> I send it)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I beleive the ROOC is only a concern if they are unwilling to use
>> Registrars.  If they are willing to become, or set up, a RAA
>> registrar and offer the same deal they offer themselves to all
>> Registrars, I do not beleive they need any exception.
>
> 	My reading of the ROCC was that you can't remain closed (or at
> least, closed and with a usefully large number of registered
> domains) while using Registrars. I guess it is theoretically
> possible to use the registrar model, yet set the restrictions on
> registration so tightly that no one but the registry can meet them.
> It would seem that such a model would be designed for no purpose
> other than to circumvent any restrictions on closed registries
> though, and I suspect ICANN might similarly see look on such an
> arrangement with a suspicious eye.
>
>> As for the issue of not being permitted without being in the
>> Public Interest why should they be subject to a consideration that
>> others are not subject to?
>
> 	In this message I wasn't attempting to argue whether the policy is
> the best one - only establish what the policy is. And hopefully put
> to rest the argument that everyone considered this resolved in 2008
> or whatever.
>
>>  I think the issue is that someone would have to Object to each on
>> a Limited Public Interest basis.  If they can argue that that
>> particular TLD is detrimental to the public Interest it can be
>> disallowed.  I do not beleive that they can be condemned as a class.
>
> 	No, I don't think that is the issue at all. ICANN could probably
> decide to interpret it that way if they really wished, but the
> policy as written clearly has the onus on the registry to
> demonstrate that there is not a public interest problem, rather
> than the onus on objectors to claim that there is.  I read it as,
> if you want to apply and you want to run it in a closed (registrar-
> less) way, you need to satisfy the three requirements in the
> exemption clause in your application. It isn't condemning them as a
> class any more than open registries are condemned by having to
> agree to abide by the rest of the ROCC.
> 	I think that if ICANN decides it wants closed generics, then it
> could set the bar very low in order to do that (and equally, if it
> decides it doesn't, it can set the bar high), but waiting for an
> external objection would not meet the policy as written.
>
>> The notion that there was a case against these as a category of
>> gTLD is impossible as there were no categories.  Yes, Bertrand
>> wanted them.  He wanted them real bad.  But he did not get them.
>
> 	I followed that discussion too. I am not claiming anything came
> out of it. I was just using it as an example of a discussion in
> which, if there was consensus about closed generics, it would have
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org