[NCUC-DISCUSS] [] Out of contact

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Sat Jun 29 20:52:59 CEST 2013

+1 with the following addendum:

Usually we like to stay away from ad-hoc decision-making -- we're trying to
model the procedure-faithful process we'd like to see ICANN follow as a
whole.

In this case our formal charter is not up to the task of the moment, so it
forces us to either do nothing (i.e., delay until we have determined new
procedure under current procedure) or do something ad hoc to fill the gap.

What Bill suggests is ad hoc, but based on the closest procedure we have
formally in place to accomplish the task.  So it's not random ad hoc: it is
structured ad hoc, and one that is a plausible candidate for formal
procedure in the future.

Given the advantages of not waiting to update procedure (which should not
be underestimated in terms of potential complication and elapsed time, if
based on nothing else but the response on this list), I'd vote to follow
Bill's suggestion now for this one occurrence, with a stipulation that we
formalize process at our earliest convenience according to our existing
formal processes.

Divide and conquer.  :-)

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.