[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: Creating a New ICANN 5-Year Strategic Plan - Durban Monday 11:00 - 12:30

Ron Wickersham rjw at itsmyinternet.org
Sat Jun 22 06:07:42 CEST 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu wrote:

to all:

> I'd encourage members to participate (whether in person or remotely) or at least follow what happens with this initiative. I believe the use of professional facilitators was due at least in part to the discussion at the Beijing meeting on policy/implementation, where a number of community members suggested that this might help move discussions forward in a productive and effective way. This is a good opportunity for newer members to learn more about how ICANN may be evolving, and for more seasoned members to contribute based on their own experiences.

i hope that this these are truly professional facilitators with a mission
to discover, encourage, and integrate the community points of view in the
outcome documents that they will submit at the conclusion of their work.

i have a certain distrust of professional facilitators in strategic planning
meetings, especially where their influence is to "steer" the discussion in
the manner that points in the direction the hirers have briefed them.  in
other organizations, the facilitators have kept discussion away from areas
that are uncomfortable with the hirers and prepared summaries of the results
that rubber stamp the goals they were commissioned to produce, and the long
efforts the participants contributed completely marginalized.

###

to Mary:

> I'd like also to take this opportunity to let NCUC members know that I will no longer be an NCUC or NCSG participant at ICANN after this month, as I have recently accepted an offer from ICANN to join them as a Senior Policy Director primarily supporting GNSO projects. I'm pleased that this will allow me to continue to work with you - many of who have become great friends and advisors! - on ICANN issues. I've learned a lot in the past five years of my participation in this community, and look forward to staying in touch with everyone!

i hope contratulations are in order and that you find the freedom to
contrubute constructively to the development of policies as you have
contributed to our discussions in NCUC.

-ron