[NCUC-DISCUSS] Approval of NCUC Durban workshop on closed generics

Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu
Thu Jun 13 15:53:44 CEST 2013

Try one of the Donuts crew, e.g. Jon Nevett, or TLDH, or Amazon, e.g.
Stacey King?

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Faculty Chair, Global IP Partnerships
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php

From:
William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>

To:
"ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org" <ncuc-discuss at lists.ncuc.org>

Date:
6/13/2013 5:27 AM

Subject:
[NCUC-DISCUSS] Approval of NCUC Durban workshop on closed generics

ICANN has approved the previously mentioned proposal for a NCUC
workshop on closed generic gTLDs.  It is scheduled for Monday 15 July
2013, 13:30-15:30.  So together with our outreach events at the African
School on Internet Governance, Constituency Day, and the various NCSG &
GNSO meetings, we will be fairly busy in Durban….

Glen and I have put up a page for the event,
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/NCUC+Workshop%3A+The+Debate+on+Closed+Generic+Top+Level+Domains.

It needs a bit of work in two respects.  First, the description is the
text I wrote some time ago for a forthcoming IGF Bali workshop on the
same, and could probably use improvement and updating in July in light
of any smoke signals from the GAC and Board.

Second, the panel needs more balance in viewpoints; the folks listed
are simply those I managed to get in a rush when ICANN staff said they
needed the submission.  At a minimum, we need someone good from an
applicant or another advocate of closed applications (and yes I tried
Google, no dice — Bali yes but Durban no).  And maybe one more person
from elsewhere in the community who can equally reflect contending
perspectives within their clan, e.g. At Large.

If anyone has suggestions on either of these points, please be in
touch.

Thanks,

Bill

William J. Drake