[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Statement on PRISM?

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Sun Jun 9 02:21:12 CEST 2013

> iven the chilling effect the revelations of the NSA's conduct may have
> regarding personal liberties on the internet, should we look to issue
> a statement on this type of behavior by governments?
No.  It's not an ICANN issue.  It's purely a US government issue. That
some of the data originates on the internet is not the core issue.

If NCUC wants to be effective, we should be careful about which battles
we take on.  Otherwise we risk being marginalized as complainers about
everything.  Or we try to push ICANN into a governmental role - which it
is singularly unsuited for.

By all means take it up with civil liberties groups that you belong to,
and if you're in the US, your congress-people.  (Who, by the way, wrote
the enabling legislation, were all briefed on the programs - and only
now, when it came to light, are 'shocked, truly shocked' by the
consequences.  That however, is politics. Not in NCUC's domain.)

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,