[NCUC-DISCUSS] Interim Asian representative on the NCUC EC

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Jul 13 14:45:11 CEST 2013

Hello

Greetings from the GNSO Council meeting in Durban.

On Jul 8, 2013, at 1:22 AM, PATRICK LENIHAN <patrick_lenihan at msn.com> wrote:

> If there is still a need for an Asian representative, I wish to volunteer and
> participate to the best of my ability.

Thank you Patrick for your interest in serving as the interim Asian representative on the NCUC EC, it is much appreciated.  My apologies for this delayed reply, travel and then meetings and other work here preoccupied me and I lost track of this item.

On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:56 PM, PeterGreen <seekcommunications at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr. William Drake and Members of NCUC,
> I am Peter Green (also Zuan Zhang) from China Organizational Name Administration Center (CONAC), Beijing, China.
> Based in CONAC, a not-for-profit public-benefit organization in Beijing, a pivotal representative of the Chinese Internet community, I would like to indicate and express my interest in serving as an Asian representative of Executive Committee in NCUC.

Thank you also Peter for your interest in serving as the interim Asian representative on the NCUC EC, it is much appreciated.

As you may recall, when Norbert Klein notified us on 18 June that he was stepping down as the Asia representative, we then had an extended discussion about how to go about appointing an interim replacement until the next election.  While some of us thought the current Bylaws provision

VII.  Leaving Office

E.            When EC members or Council Representatives are deemed to resign due to nonparticipation as per sections C and D above, the Chair may appoint a temporary replacement provided that NCSG regional geographic diversity requirements are maintained. If the remaining term of the resigning EC representative(s) is greater than six (6) months, a new election shall be organized.

provided a sufficiently clear basis for the Chair to make an appointment, of course in consultation with the EC and membership, that view was not universally shared.  The conversation then drifted off without resolution.

To be entirely honest, I am not quite sure how to proceed here.  I suppose if one believes that any procedure we follow must be specifically defined in the bylaws, and that the bylaws don't address this case, we may be stuck.  If instead one believes that the EC can interpret the legislative intent of the bylaws and extrapolate to define a procedure, then maybe we can act.  In which case we can then grapple with how to deal fairly with a contested selection, short of calling a special election (which, to put it mildly, would be fairly taxing from an administrative/bandwidth standpoint).

We have an Executive Committee meeting scheduled for 3pm tomorrow.  While the agenda is fairly full, let's take a little time to discuss this then and see if we can identify the possible foundations of convergence in one direction or the other.  I will separately resend the remote participation details.

Thanks,

Bill