[NCSG-Discuss] ICANN nomcom report/candidates outreach

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 29 07:25:09 CET 2013

Hi Amr,

Thanks for your questions and pointing out the typo which was fixed.

* For  your first question, nomcom appoints 3 gnso councilors(alternatively
1 or 2 each year ). currently we have 2 voting nomcom-appointed councilors
and 1 non-voting. let's say NCA stand for a nomcom-appointed councilor.

with gnso restructuring in 2009, we have 1 NCA in each house (contracted
and non-contracted houses, the current council
http://gnso.icann.org/en/about/gnso-council.htm as example) and 1  NCA not
part of houses.

An issue raised last if a non-voting NCA can become a voting councilor and
then member of 1 of the 2 houses or just remain non-voting till the end of
his term (2 years) with the appointment of two new NCA(or reappointing)

There was then discussion between the gnso council and nomcom chair at the
time and even consultation of the ICANN counselor regarding that matter.

The current nomocom is discussing this issue and having proposal (in item
4a)which may need bylaw change in order to allow the reallocation and/or
rotate of NCA every year .

* For your second question, I guess there was confusion because the typo,
the current nomcom is working on the appointment of "NCA for term from
2013-2015 (starting from AGM in buenos aires) , so there is no appointment
yet.

The mission is to select an independent councilors who bring different
expertise and backgrounds to the council. so the nomcom is trying to get
feedback about outreach to contact prospective candidates for several
opened leadership positions in board,gnso, ccnso and alac and not
necessarily within the ICANN community.    to clarify there is no
endorsement from stakeholder groups or constituencies but as individual you
can suggest person if you think that he matches the qualifications sought,
who should fill the statement of interest later (
http://nomcom.icann.org/invitation-2013.htm)

Best Regards,

Rafik