[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG Questions & Concerns for our Representatives on the Accountability & Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Tue Jan 22 20:29:17 CET 2013

Thanks Avri for remembering my prior questions.  There is a certain poetic
resonance to the idea of "accountable and transparent Accountability and
Transparency Reviews."  :-)

As for the GAC role, can the more veteran members here review for us what
the GAC was supposed to accomplish when it was first incorporated into
ICANN's policy-making structure?

My gut sense is that it was simply a way to allow governments to weigh in
on GNSO policy sort of as a last step before Board consideration --
perhaps with enough weight that in serious cases policy could be thrown
back to GNSO for reconsideration?  But was the idea to try to hold off GAC
(i.e., politics) to a large extent and first try to let the consensus
process work its way through?

Of course, there is a lot of implicit politics in the consensus process,
and so it's probably not accurate to see the consensus process as a pure
rational dynamic devoid of power (i.e., political) considerations.

Acknowledging the politics inherent in the current (and perhaps any)
implementation of the consensus process, the devil's advocate suggests
that GAC might as well get involved earlier.  On the other hand, even if
purity is not an option, at least we might push back as much as possible
against politics entering the policy process too soon.

What I'd like to see is a more detailed discussion of this in the context
of actual ICANN policy structures.  I haven't been directly enough
involved recently to evaluate how things actually work in practice.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.