[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics - a letter together

Kathy Kleiman kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Tue Feb 26 17:23:41 CET 2013

No, Milton, I disagree completely. Second levels, third levels and top
levels are different. You can try all you want to wish it away, but you
can't.  Network Solutions, Inc., back when it was THE REGISTRY AND
REGISTRAR of .com, .org, .net and more operated in a way far different
than you or I as registrants did.

Registries, whether you like it or not, are imbued by the ICANN
Community (and through contract with ICANN) with obligations to the
protect the security and stability of the Internet. These are NOT magic
words, they are substantive commitments that registries work on every
single day.

DNSSEC, the ability to lock domains and ensure that they have not been
hijacked (among other features) is a Registry-level implementation.

The Applicant Guidebook preserves my view of the world, not yours. It
imbues Registries with obligations towards ICANN, the ICANN Community,
and especially the Internet. These are real obligations, and ones the
Registries will take very seriously -- or lose their TLDs.

Kathy