[NCSG-Discuss] NCSG lists on non-ICANN servers

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Feb 26 17:15:27 CET 2013

Never had a problem with the lists hosted at syr.edu or at ipjustice in all these many years. I would not favor moving these services to Icann servers at all.

frt rgds

--c.a.

------------
C. A. Afonso

-------- Original message --------
From: Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU>
Date: 26/02/2013  12:41  (GMT-03:00)
To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] NCSG lists on non-ICANN servers

NCUC-DISCUSS has been on syr.edu servers for more than a decade. It has never been shifted around. It would be hard to be more stable than that. It’s a free neutral platform, uncensored, and has never caused any technical problems. Making ourselves dependent on ICANN, on the other hand, will be sure to cause some shifting around.

The issue I see is the desirability of ad-hoc shifting of list serving, email list management and archiving functions from server to server as the leadership changes - Avri, Milton, Robin for instance all have used their "home" servers for all kinds of good reasons invoked here by some of you, mainly ease and familiarity of operations for the incumbents.

I do hope that censure by ICANN was never a factor... but please share anecdotal evidence if that has ever been the case.