[NCSG-Discuss] Closed Generics are Against the Rules

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Mon Feb 11 15:10:29 CET 2013

Hi

So there's clearly a diversity of views on this issue among reasonable people.  This was also evident at the IGF meeting in Baku, where we spent some time on it in the context of a wider discussion of new gTLDs in the Critical Internet Resources main session (I co-moderatated, Milton spoke to the issue, as did Anriette Esterhuysen from NCUC member APC, the Brazilian ambassador, others... http://webcast.igf2012.com/ondemand/.)

For this year's IGF in Bali, Alain and I discussed the possibility of proposing a joint NPOC/NCUC Open Forum session, and in addition the two constituencies could each organize their own workshops reflecting their respective priorities and possibilities.  In this context, I'm wondering whether closed generics might not be a good topic for a NCUC workshop.  We could easily get a solid MS panel together with strongly diverse views that would probably be of interest to the sort of broader, non-GNSO-insider audiences IGFs attract. I can already think of a number of developing country government, business, technical and CS folks who'd likely be eager to participate as speakers, and it's a nicely bounded problem set that'd lend itself to focused consideration of commercial and noncommercial arguments etc.

After we get past the WSIS+10 and IGF meetings in Paris I may pitch the Program Team a formal proposal on this.  If anyone would like to conspire, let me know.

Bill