[NCUC-DISCUSS] Server bans

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 03:34:05 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> can someone tell me how this is relevant to what NCUC does?

1) ITU addresses domain names and addressing as areas falling more clearly
under their purview.  The ITU has completed moves actualizing its role in
that area since 2010, chiefly via the 2012 WTSA, where they engaged folks
in a consultancy on ways to make ITU-T more readily responsive to new
tech.  This was phrased chiefly in terms of "more technical aspects" of
telecom networks as supports for the Internet, and as issues like
internationalized domain names and the IPv6 transition regarded as more
clearly under the ITU mandate.  So NCUC is relevant to that side of the ITU
project related to WSIS.  Even though it represents a half of a two-step
play that has already been executed.

2) The ITU is presently ramping up for actualizing its role in relation to
broader "international Internet-related public policy issues," largely via
the WTDC next year.  The ITU-D sector is conducting a consultancy on
enhanced cooperation, and global regional planning meetings as well as
Study Group preparations are also underway as part of the rampup to the
WTDC.  The WSIS+10 proceeding will also take place nearly concurrently with
the WTDC. Key reports for the Secretary General are being prepared to set
the frame for the WTDC, and those will be issued some time in September.
What comes out of the rah rah session at the WTDC will feed forward to the
Plenipotentiary Conference in late 2014.  Broader Internet-related public
policy issues which might bear on the ITU/WSIS/Internet governance/enhanced
cooperation process -- like this bit about "no server" policies instituted
by the few providers that actually survive in the US -- might be a bit more
tenuous for NCUC, taken on their own.

But the ITU frame may not be appropriate to the minds of folks in NCUC, so
they might want to position questions about broader internet-related public
policy issues within the issue of the nature of the WSIS and the process
underway related to it at the ITU.  A position on any number of broader
"Internet-related policies" can be articulated in relation to that context.

That's one way to do it . . .