[NCUC-DISCUSS] Bylaws: Join With Us!

Edward Morris egmorris100 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 02:25:46 CEST 2013

Hi everyone.

Bill and Tapani have been having an important conversation concerning the
procedural aspects of getting a new Bylaws approved. I'm a bit concerned
that that this procedural talk might put off folks thinking about helping
with the Bylaws revision. I've had an e-mail this evening from someone
thinking along those lines. Please, everyone,  don't let that be the case.

Regardless of the exact method the revision is enacted, and I'm sure
reasonable people will find a way to do this as expeditiously as possible,
that we need a new Bylaws is beyond question. When I first stared to assume
my position on the E.C. I e-mailed Bill a bit confused, for I had
discovered both a Charter and a Bylaws for the NCUC online  and I didn't
know which one was authoritative. Bill's only surprise was that I had yet
to discover the other 2 or 3 documents that were out in cyberspace. The
fact that we're talking about revising a single document is actually quite
an accomplishment!

It is a flawed document, though. Did you know we have dues? Neither does
our treasury, but they are there in Article X. Revising the Bylaws, if not
done by the E.C., requires a petition signed by 10 per cent of our members
(Article VII(A) ) or 5 percent of our members (Article III(G)(5): take your
pick. Of course, that's to revise our Charter when we actually don't have
one: we operate under Bylaws, not Charters. California legal requirement.
Our GNSO Counsellors and NCSG EC members: Congratulations! You are members
of the NCSG Policy Committee ( Article V(B)). You probably didn't know
that. Then, again, it comes to a surprise to most of us that we have a
NCUCPC.  And so on...

Folks, we can't in good faith continue to operate under this document.
We're going to have to work out the process of getting a new Bylaws
approved and one way or another we will. We have to if we're going to take
our proper place within the ICANN community. What we need to focus on now
is writing the document itself:

Once again I'm asking anyone who might be able to contribute to go here:

http://www.ncuc.org/bylaws-revision-committee

and join our effort. Anyone with experience in drafting governing documents
for their own nonprofits are particularly welcome. We can use your help and
the help of anyone and everyone willing to assist in the project. It should
be as representative as possible of the incredibly diverse and accomplished
Constituency that is the NCUC.

Thanks for considering...

Ed Morris

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org