[NCUC-DISCUSS] closed generics in the press

Edward Morris egmorris100 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:31:31 CEST 2013

Thanks for the link Bill. It's refreshing to read well written material on
any topic, particularly nice to see such skills applied to our little area
of the universe. The last two paragraphs alone are worth savoring for those
of us who earnestly want to believe in the MS model of governance.

It's fairly obvious that the GAC's "freeze" guidance on .patagonia is
merely a temporary stall to give some public relief to the Argentinian
government position. It has no merit whatsoever under the rules promulgated
by ICANN and the community and should be rejected. That said:

http://townofpatagonia.com/

the small town of Patagonia, Arizona is a city with rights under the
defined process. I'm not aware of their  position on this matter, if any,
but I do know back when I used to work for someone who represented the town
in the U.S. Congress that there was a belief that their town benefited from
increased tourism due to their association with the commercial Patagonia
mark. I think this is a good example of why the geographic block, such as
it is, is another example of content restriction with unintended
consequences. Little Patagonia, Arizona isn't likely to be able to get the
U.S. government to act on it's behalf, yet should size or pull of a
community matter when application of private trademark registration does
not take into consideration size of market of registration when applied by
brand owners in ICANN's myriad of mark protection programs?