[NCUC-DISCUSS] Registrants Rights and Responsibilities: let's propose a real alternative

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 10 01:02:05 CEST 2013

In our interactions with the board on Tuesday, we discovered that the current statement of registrant rights and responsibilities was developed by the registrars in connection with their RAA negotiations. In response to our suggestion that maybe registrants ought to be consulted a bit on what their rights should be, Board member Bruce Tonkin wrote the following:

"As mentioned there is an existing document on the ICANN website that relates to the 2009 version for the RAA.

"Registrant Rights and Responsibilities Under the 2009 Registrar Accreditation Agreement" http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities

"As you will see it is more geared towards lawyers than towards a typical registrant.
The latest version for the 2013 RAA I think was an attempt to simplify for a more general audience.

"I think it would be a good idea for the NCUC to work with ALAC to create a set of principles as it relates to registrant rights, in the same way that the GAC created a set of public policy principles as they related to new gTLDs and WHOIS."

Does Wendy's list and subsequent discussion provide a basis for responding to this? Who wants to take ownership of this process, including involving ALAC?