[NCUC-DISCUSS] Registrants Rights and Responsibilities: let's propose a real alternative

Ron Wickersham rjw at itsmyinternet.org
Mon Apr 8 21:38:54 CEST 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Timothe Litt wrote:

These are important and great "rights" you propose.

> A decent registrar would pro-rate any remaining term - but I don't think we
> can impose that, and a decent registrar wouldn't run afoul of the language.
> Anyhow, that's not the big cost.

Note that when you change registrars the term of registration doesn't change
within the same year, as that date is preserved by the registry.   There is
a possiblity that multi-year renewals are held by your registrar and only
forwarded to the registry on the annual renewal date.

I spoke in favor of some of these rights in the limited context of PEDNR
(post expiry domain name recovery), and found the registrars argued that
uniform rules would interfere with their "competitive" differences as
defined by the contract terms in their individual registration agreements
with customers.

I expect that the rights you outline would be even more vigorously opposed
yet we should bring them forward to place on the record that the current
"competitive" practices that are changable without notice leave registrants
powerless to look out on their own for rights.

-ron