[NCUC-DISCUSS] Registrants Rights and Responsibilities: let's propose a real alternative

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Mon Apr 8 21:19:48 CEST 2013

> * to be able to transfer the registered domain name between registrars
> (without hassle, upon satisfying the registrars' clearly-stated terms)
> * to be able to renew (or choose not to renew) a domain registration on
> clearly disclosed terms
The laudable goals here are transparency of terms and portability of
domain names when the terms aren't acceptable.  But this doesn't
accomplish them.

Given the "and we can change the terms at will" (typically by posting an
incomprehensible change on a website in some obscure page) language that
exists at many levels in the registration hierarchy, there additionally
needs to be something like (I'm not an attorney):

* The right to reasonable notice of any change to the registrar's terms,
delivered to the registrant in plain language on a push (e.g. e-mail,
not a 'you must monitor this website') basis.   In the same language as
the original - signup in Russian, changes in Chinese doesn't fly.
Changes must be easy to find (e.g., redline/change-bar/changes-only, not
total replacement of a 4,000 line document, reformatted so diff doesn't
work.)

* The right to transfer the registered domain name, without fee or
'hassle', to another registrar at its renewal date or upon any material
change in the registrar's terms and/or policies that is adverse to the
registrant.

A decent registrar would pro-rate any remaining term - but I don't think
we can impose that, and a decent registrar wouldn't run afoul of the
language.  Anyhow, that's not the big cost.

Absent such language, the ability to transfer 'upon satisfying the
registrar's clearly stated terms' is meaningless.

Consider, for example, a registrar who might announce "effective
tomorrow, all defendants in a domain name dispute will pay our legal and
operational costs, regardless of amount, outcome or merit.  And
transfers out incur a convenience fee of US$100K".

Or one who says "we no longer support DNSSEC records".

As a fallback, "without fee of 'hassle'" in the second bullet item could
also be "on the original terms".

Yes, there's an appearance of micro-managing - but an unenforceable
'right' is an illusion.  And hidden / at-will changes make the proposed
rights unenforceable.  (Again, I'm not an attorney - this is my opinion,
not legal advice.)

FWIW, one of my ISPs DID just say "we changed our terms, effective...",
and pointed consumers to a page with 8 documents, each of hundreds of
lines of dense legalese - and no change bars. And yes, the formatting
was changed so even copying the documents and diffing old vs. new was
infeasible.  (Assuming you'd saved old, which was no longer available.)
No small consumer (especially non-commercial) will know what changed
until they run afoul of the change, even those who might have paid an
attorney to dissect the language in the first place.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.