Closed New gTLDs - "Closed Gardens"

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Fri Sep 7 05:54:31 CEST 2012

On 09/06/2012 04:03 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Section 6 of what?  Module 6?  Section 6 of the proposed contract on Fees?
>I do not see anything in this that covers the permissibility of not having any
external registrations.

I agree.

>In any case, any registration they do have, even for internal purposes,
>would need to be done by Accredited Registrars and incurr fees.

   I agree that registration would incur fees. However, I don't agree that
the registration would need to be done through accredited registrars.
For a closed registry, say to be used exclusively by a company,
it wouldn't make sense for the company to go through an external registrar.

   Let us take the example of .google and Google wants
to register the domain hq.google for the infrastructure
in their headquarters.  Why would they have to go through
an external registrar to register that domain?
After all, the domain is restricted and it is
the company who gets to decide who/what domains get
registered. Using external registrars would just
be a burden on the company and on how the company uses
its domain.

--
Bombim Cadiz