Closed New gTLDs - "Closed Gardens"

Edward Morris edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU
Wed Sep 5 22:19:28 CEST 2012

I would take exception to the claim that allowing so called "closed garden"
gTLD's at all infringes upon nation states "entrenched legal processes" for
obtaining trademark protection.

It's usually brand owners I need to remind of what appears to be a little
recognized fact: domain names are not trademarks. Notwithstanding the fact
that brand owners want us to treat domain names as trademarks +, that some
UDRP mediators seem to buy this argument, that we're left fighting attempts
to establish extraordinary protection for famous marks...

Domain names are not trademarks. Nor are they sui generis i.p. marks. To
sign this letter indicates a belief that in some form they are and will
make it a be a bit more difficult in the futre to coherently fight efforts
by brand owners to further expand their monopoly rights in the domain
ecosphere.

The concept of a commons in generic terms may be admirable. The concept
stands alone and needs not and should not be linked to trademark rights.
Regrettably the time to make such an argument with regards to this round of
gTlds is in the past.