(Re) Introduction

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Wed Oct 24 08:34:48 CEST 2012

Hi Evan

On Oct 23, 2012, at 9:31 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> During the Toronto meeting I was re-elected by the At-Large Advisory Committee as its liaison to the NCSG and am happy to serve again as a conduit of ideas, messages and shared goals.

While I conversely have stepped down after serving 4 years as NCUC liaison to ALAC, so we'll need to fill that slot after our election.

> While the ALAC and NCSG differ on a number of issues (WHOIS is probably the most glaring example), we share common ground on a number of significant matters. With Kathy's help, I am happy to have penned the statement on the URS jointly presented by Robin and ALAC Chair Olivier Crepin-Leblond at last week's Public Forum.
>
> On a personal level, I hope to engage more of the NCSG into efforts to revitalize ICANN based on the ALAC's first white paper, generally known as "R3" (available here in all 6 UN languages). In Toronto we held an extremely useful joint session with the NPOC on this issue that I hope will extend through more of the NCSG and beyond.

We also had a session between NCUC and ALAC in Prague at which R3 was discussed, but no follow up since ALAC cancelled our regular meeting this time.

> Now, a question: What is the preference here towards the level of my participation? Is it that I stay relatively quiet except for specifically-defined points of joint engagement? Or is it OK if I occasionally wade into discussions, giving (my own personal take on) the ALAC perspective on issues that we have worked upon. If so engaged, will always indicate when an opinion is my own, based on a formal ALAC statement, or on my own reading of the mood of the At-Large Community. I'm OK to engage at any level. While such PoVs may at times differ from the prevailing mood of NCSG, it's not my intent to be disruptive.

There have been times when you've waded in with personal opinions on matters where the two constituencies were not in agreement.  I'd suggest steering away from such internal deliberations of your host and liaise on matters of common concern to the two entities, as I did on the ALAC list.  Fair nuff?

Best,

Bill