Nomination of Tapani Tarvainen to NCUC Executive Committee - EUROPEAN Region

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO
Tue Oct 23 09:28:07 CEST 2012

On Oct 21 18:07, Robin Gross (robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG) wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It is my honor to nominate NCUC member Tapani Tarvainen from
> Electronic Frontier Finland to the NCUC Executive Committee from the
> European region.

Dear Robin,

Thank you for the nomination, which I humbly accept - looking
at the other candidates' experience makes me feel rather green.
But I must agree with Andrew here:

On Oct 17 15:18, Andrew A. Adams (aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP) wrote:

> I think it shows that NCUC is becoming a mature constituency that we
> have a positive choice of two very well-qualified candidates for one of our
> elected positions. Neither should anyone feel slighted should they not be
> elected in such a contested election. Strength in depth is good.

Exactly. I certainly won't feel slighted losing, considering
how excellent other candidates are.

On Oct 22 14:58, Norbert Klein (nhklein at GMX.NET) wrote:

> I would like to add here some suggestions: Before the elections, all
> candidates (even if uncontested) should present their experience,
> intentions, and visions to the electing public. And while this will
> give every candidate an opportunity for self-expression, I think the
> Executive Committee should announce and invite all candidates to
> make such a presentation, within a specific framework

That does sound good, although too stringent requirements might
also be problematic, given that this is volunteer work.
Anyway, for now, in the absence of such a framework,
here's a few words about me:

I'm basically a technical person, happier configuring a DNS server
than arguing about policies, but over the last decade or so I've
been doing more and more of the latter, in particular at the
intersection of technology and human rights.
I have spent a signifant part of my spare time working (unpaid)
for Electronic Frontier Finland, getting more and more involved
in national and international legislation, in EU and in the IGF,
in particular about privacy and freedom of expression.

I think have a good understanding of the technical issues ICANN
deals with, as well as at least some of the political implications
of ICANN's actions, and I keep learning more almost every day.

Should I be fortunate enough be elected, I will do my best to prove
myself worthy of the honor and strive to strengthen our constituency
and to keep non-commercial interests and human rights on the table.

--
Tapani Tarvainen