Candidate Statement

Rudi Vansnick rudi.vansnick at ISOC.BE
Mon Nov 26 10:10:11 CET 2012

Dear all,

Due to travel I was not able to respond earlier, for which I want to excuse me. I still hope not being too late. Anyhow, I which every candidate the best.

I first thought to withdraw my candidature but some convinced me to stay on. So here follows my SoI.

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?

Having been involved in ICANN since 2006, I may say I have already a small track of service through the At Large community. In 2007 we founded the ALAC with the creation of the RALO's. As a founding member of the EURALO, I dare say I have been at the early stage of what is now recognized as a representative body in ICANN.

Today, I think I'm ready to take up other tasks, helping the European non-comemrcial users raising their voice in ICANN, through the NCUC. My motivation is based on the fact users should have many different ways to express themselves and yet heard. Through many different projects in which I was involved, I recognized the demand of Internet users to get more impact in how the Internet evolves, especially when it is about their data and their ability to participate actively in Internet governance and policy.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.

My engagement in ICANN in the past went through participation in ALAC, EURALO and for 2 years as ALAC's liaison to ccNSO. Chairing an chapter of Internet Society (Belgium), a non-commercial users group organisation (TIK approx. 14.000 members), being involved in several conference program committees, national expert and grand jury member for the World Summit Award (best e-Content across the world), I dare say I have a brought view  and good perception of the needs of Internet users. Self employed and partner in small Internet company (hosting-housing activities), I also see the liaison between users (consumers) and providers.

I recently got elected board of Trustees member of Internet Society.

Aside the fact PIR is a registry of .org, and PIR being part of Internet Society, I have no conflict of interests.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency.  What  level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis?  Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.

Being self employed I dispose of my own time when needed. So, the necessary time for my commitment to the NCUC should be available.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?

Through open communication, straight forward thoughts and most of all, by consensus with all members of the NCUC EC. My network across Europe would certainly help to get messages passed to all users, especially when the need for communication is the highest.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Be concise (200 words maximum).

The more we talk about multi-stakeholderism, the more we can stress out the need of the participation of the non-commercial users. The challenge to get the users involved at all levels of the Internet structure is huge. That's why the NCUC has a enormous task to accomplish and will need strong leaders and members to fulfill the requirements and expectations of each of us, Internet users.

Rudi Vansnick
------------------ Internet Society Belgium  ---------------------
President - CEO                             Tel +32/(0)9/329.39.16
rudi.vansnick at isoc.be            Mobile +32/(0)475/28.16.32
Dendermondesteenweg 143            B-9070 Destelbergen
www.internetsociety.be         "The Internet is for everyone"