Fwd: [Soac-infoalert] Fwd: Governmental Advisory Committee - GAC Website (Main)

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Nov 21 18:43:43 CET 2012

I said these governmental objections were a bad idea when they were
first proposed 4-5 years ago.  Now we are seeing why they are such a
bad idea.  Chilling effect on speech and also used as another bite at
the apple for IP interests with never-ending complaints of needing
more IPR privileges.  And these objections about "generic" word TLDs
- that is just a govt picking one business model over others.  I
wonder how much it cost those businesses to persuade a govt to object
to their business competitor based on "public interest" concerns.
What a joke...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
> Date: November 21, 2012 5:07:41 AM PST
> To: "soac-infoalert at icann.org" <soac-infoalert at icann.org>
> Subject: [Soac-infoalert] Fwd: Governmental Advisory Committee -
> GAC Website (Main)
>

>> Governmental Advisory Committee
>> Announcements:
>>
>> On 20 November 2012, the GAC filed 242 Early Warnings on
>> individual applications. The applicants were all contacted
>> directly, and the Early Warnings have now been posted here: GAC
>> Early Warnings
>>
>> Early Warnings mainly consist of requests for information, or
>> requests for clarity on certain aspects of an application.
>>
>> If you are an applicant who has received an Early Warning, you can
>> contactgacearlywarning at icann.org to request further information.
>>

>> https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory
>> +Committee?desktop=true
>>

>>> --
>>> David A. Olive
>>> Vice President, Policy Development Support
>>> Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
>>> 1101 New York Avenue, NW - Suite 930
>>> Washington, D.C.    20005
>>> Office: 202.570.7126      Mobile:  202.341.3611
>>
>> David A. Olive
>> Sent from my iPad

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org