.Pirate Domains Now Available Through OpenNic

Michael Haffely ncuc at JOLLYROGERS.COM
Thu May 17 17:10:05 CEST 2012

It is not as easy "only running a script", and suggest the following
exercise to prove my point.

Change your DNS on your phone to point to an alternate DNS provider while
on the carriers network.

Yes, you *do* need to be very technical to accomplish this.  If users can't
get to an alternate DNS on all devices they use, it won't be accepted.
Users won't accept a system where they can only send email to X on Wi-Fi,
but can't communicate with X on the carriers or ISP's network.  With the
trend of more smartphones/tablets as the primary internet access device
this will prevent the mass uptake of alternate root DNS.

The existing root DNS has worked acceptably for decades, and with DNSSEC it
has fixed some of the security concerns.  To answer "Why Not?" to the
question of trusting alternative DNS doesn't answer any of the concerns
raised in RFC 2826 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2826> nor does it
address the lack of financial, political, and technical stability and
longevity that the Alternative DNS systems have exhibited.