TAS and all

Kristina Macaulay kristinamac at MAC.COM
Tue May 22 14:19:05 CEST 2012

A few things came to mind of late.

1. While the TAS back up, how they are managing the bundling 'first through the post', or 'who's server is closest to ICANN's' is a real botched solution to processing the applications. It put disadvantage to smaller organisations further away or who have less resources to spill over their gTLD.

2. https://domainpolicy.org/
I found this organsiation diluting the core of what ICANN should be addressing, rather then harnessing organisations within, there is yet another forum to suggest 'new' best practice policies for the gTLD space.

3. With the new rights provision mechanisms, ICANN has achieved the ‘fait accompli’ in rendering obsolete or replacing the need to use a tried and tested legal course to gain consensus (trademark law in this instance). It may at the outset seem an attractive resolution proposition, but with time could undermine international legislative efforts elsewhere having set an international precedence on how to create a new governance model. Hence my concern when I see alternative working groups spring up.

4. International Governments still seem oblivious as to what in going on in ICANN, this weakens our efforts, while there is an approach to proactively raise issues within ICANN, likewise there should be an outward strategy to clearly define the implications of the NCUC efforts.

Not sure what you think.

Kristina Macaulay